Home / GitHub Page

Open Notes in new window

Hey All,

I am new to Joplin - slowly moving away from Evernote. So far this is a GREAT application (thank you Laurent!)

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out (sorry if this was already posted and I missed the thread) - is there a way to open multiple notes at once, in different windows? Like this: https://gyazo.com/0af361ef2a199a4d2ff45957269ddac1

It’s really handy to be able to open more than 1 note at a time, especially when multi-tasking at work.

Thank you in advance!

Short answer, if you want this feature soon is that you can use the external editor feature of Joplin to view multiple notes in different windows. You can find info about this feature on this forum or on the Joplin website.

1 Like

Hi TheLargeFries,

I would recommend Typora as an external editor. Just install it and configure it in Joplin preferences, General / Text editor command.
Mac users then simply press cmd-e (Windos Ctrl-e) on a note and have a distraction-free editor window. Or several, if needed.

Awesome, thank you both for steering me in the right direction - greatly appreciated!

Typora is not ideal. It could not 100% render math expression like Joplin.

For example, Typora can render this:

$$
f{'}(x_0)=\lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0 + \Delta x)-f(x_0)}{\Delta x}
$$

but it could not render this: $\Delta x$

So, opening note using Joplin editor is the most ideal way.

Hi,

I would be really interested in this feature as well. IMO the external editor is not the ideal way to supply that, although I do appreciate it for other reasons.

Is there the hope to see that feature implemented in some next release? Are there other users interesting in that?