Are URL links on the roadmap?

Hi, I’m new to Joplin and excited about its possibilities (as a writer and speaker I do also use Evernote and Agenda and Noteplan for different areas, as well as Scrivener of course).

I particularly appreciate Joplin being multi-platform as I use Mac, iOS and Windows at different times.

To keep track of different bits of projects, I rely on links to track progress (I keep them together in Things). I would greatly appreciate consideration of x-callback-URL or similar to provide access to a Joplin note from another application. And vice versa. Thanks for listening!

Congratulations on some real quality development and interface design.

15 Likes

What do you mean by x-callback-URL?

If you are talking about a Joplin handler, I’m all for it. Internal links are denoted by something like this: :/b3270a18733a4455af4d283dbe99b5fd

So the applications could register a handler e.g. joplin so that a link like joplin://b3270a18733a4455af4d283dbe99b5fd would open the note in Joplin. I’m not sure how hard this is to implement, but it sure would be a great feature.

4 Likes

In evernote I could copy the note link to a external application like Google Sheets, and open the note directly from the spreadsheet. This is very useful for project planning: I could schedule my projects on a spreadsheet, and go into the details when clicking on the note link.

I use Joplin’s E2E encryption feature to protect my notes, and right now I’m stuck with evernote because of the URL link feature. +1 for this feature to be implemented in joplin!

A suggestion is, it may be better to use joplin://notes/b3270a18733a4455af4d283dbe99b5fd instead of joplin://b3270a18733a4455af4d283dbe99b5fd, because that leaves room for future extensions

2 Likes

I like the idea of deep links and the suggestion to use a keyword as in joplin://notes/b3270a18733a4455af4d283dbe99b5fd

Well, I guess now we only have to wait until somebody implements this.

3 Likes

Indeed Joplin is outstanding.

Hello,
I came from Agenda app and used the x-callback-url support to open specific notebooks or notes and to create new notes. With Alfred app and the web searches it look something like this:
shortcut for 'log' : agenda://x-callback-url/create-note?project-title=%E2%91%A0%20Daily%20log&title={query}&text=

I then just had to type 'log My new quick note for today etc.' to create a new note.

It's very convenient, but I know thay x-callback support has to be implemented by someone :wink:

1 Like

UPDATE: Holy crap! I just realized the original post was from September 2018. Ugh. Oh well... here was my response...

@greiggy -- Unrelated to your RFE.
I am a writer as well. In fact, my novel is being developed on Joplin (I also use Trello for planning, beats management, and such).

Since you are using Scrivener, have you looked at Manuskript? I have played with it a bit, but . . . too many knobs for me. :slight_smile: I will explore it further another time. But it may be something someone like you would be interested in. I'd love to get a Scrivener user's thoughts on it: Manuskript – Open-source tool for writers

Joplin users, if you are a writer, check out Manuskript. It's a different use case from Joplin. It's all about managing book development scene by scene, character by character. Etc. I do some things in Joplin similarly. Each character has their own note, etc. But I am a bit more old-fashioned.

Anyway... this was a significant digression from the poster's point. Heh. Apologies.

1 Like

Still wondering if this can be put onto the roadmap. Some kind of x-callback handler would be great to link to Joplin notes from external applications.

4 Likes

Also voting for this. I am now realizing how useful it would be.

2 Likes

Hey. I would like to try and implement this. I don't know how hard it is going to be, but I will try my best. Also, Do I need to open up an issue on GitHub before I implement this? and should I create a new development topic to discuss implementation details, or can I do it here itself?

1 Like

Should be fairly easy, this post has pretty much everything you need: https://medium.com/react-native-training/deep-linking-your-react-native-app-d87c39a1ad5e

1 Like

While we’re at it, what do people think about having different types of links:

• to individual notes e.g. joplin://note/<note id>
  • to fodlers: joplin://folder/<folder id>
  • to tags: joplin://tag/<tag id>
8 Likes

Thank you. I will definitely look into this.

1 Like

We certainly need some specs for that. IMO different type of links make sense, but not sure, if the ones used as an example do.

3 Likes

:+1: x-callback-url deep linking support would open a universe of automation opportunities.

I could update my Alfred workflow to provide a global quick-open tool for example, or like my NotePlan Alfred workflow, it could create new pages in Joplin programatically.

Another huge thing it might accomodate is integration with Hook: Integration: How Hook Works with Your Favorite Apps – Hook

It can be difficult to grok Hook at first, but it's "Copy Markdown Link" feature is easy to understand and demonstrates how incredibly powerful it is. You can create a concise URL to pretty much anything, files, emails, websites, etc. that you can open anywhere. With x-callback-url deep linking support in Joplin, I could use Hook to create a link to a Joplin page and paste it into any app, like my task manager of choice to schedule an action on a specific date. When the date floats up, I click the link, and it opens the page in Joplin. And visa versa, I could past a Hook link to a task into a Joplin page that links back the other way.

It's like an abstraction layer over the x-callback-url schema that hooks apps together without the need for any other form of scripting or automation.

(I have no affiliation with Hook by the way)

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. I have only just come across this thread.

I completely agree with the proposal. I think a way of linking to notes would indeed open a world of possibilities. Personally I (think that I) would only need links to individual notes. I can certainly see the benefits of linking to other “things”:folders, tags, et, though.

@werth, have you taken this any further yet?

1 Like

It was discussed here Proposal to add Android App Widget recently.
@fstanis was going to look into this.

1 Like

Hey, sorry, got caught in stuff, but still working on the widget + support for joplin://note/<note id> style links, as this seems to be the preferred option per laurent’s reply.

Note that I wasn’t planning to expose these (i.e. we’d need a copy link button), but we can easily add that later.

2 Likes

This is a core feature that I'll probably implement myself, but feel free to implement the widget first and assume that the URLs will be like those in the data API: https://joplinapp.org/api

5 Likes

Perfect, that makes things much easier for me. Will send first draft of widget with this assumption then.

2 Likes