What would make a good zettelkasten plugin?

Some neccessary and/or handy functionality to build a Zettelkasten (eg linking and backlinking to headlines...) got realizied in the Note-Link-System plugin: https://discourse.joplinapp.org/t/plugin-note-link-system/ I think at least on note-level (inside a note) now you can structure notes perfectly like a classic or some other kind of Zettelkasten.

2 Likes

Hello, after more than one year since this thread had been started, I do wonder what is the current situation in regard to practice Zettelkasten method of note-taking with the help of Joplin?

Personally. I was evaluating Joplin and even subscribed to Basic plan, but, due to various reasons, was experimenting with some other tools...tried Emacs with org-roam, but for some reason it seems I'm more inclined not to be too dependant on the Emacs ecosystem. Then, I was influenced with the Logseq hype, but it also does not fell all right that it's actually just an outliner.

Finally, I returned to Joplin which (easily) allows me to use my preferred external editor and it is getting PDF annotation. Moreover, there are plugins for backlinking, graph view etc. It is truly open-source and very much future-proof, allowing one to migrate to something else it such need would arise.

So, I'd like that we get "Zettelkasten bundle” in order to make it easier to install all the plugins which might be required for taking notes by using Zettelkasten method?

I do firmly believe that Joplin is on par with other note-taking apps like Obsidian - just a short evaluation and Logseq which is becoming very, popular, so by emphasizing that Joplin is Zettelkasten-ready or something it can become even more popular.

Any hint?
Lastly, I hope to fully settle on Joplin and to even upgrade my subscription plan in order to somehow support Joplin and ensure its availability in the future.

2 Likes

I have been away from notetaking for quite a long time while I took care of some health issues.
Having a bunch of unlinked notes is not what I hoped for.

Can Joplin do this presently, either natively through setup or plugins? Can you point me to any relevant video tutorials to aid in establishing a zettelkasten method workflow?

I still have my old unlinked notes in Obsidian, so how would you go about transitioning them to a zettelkasten method in Joplin?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome back! Hope all is well now.

The plugin ecosystem has grown a lot. For linking and back-linking, I recommend the Note Link System plugin (mentioned elsewhere on this thread), and for a nice graph view you could use either this plugin or this one. In addition to the NLS plugin, an expanded panel that includes both back-links and forward-links is available via the Bundle plugin (with some additional features, but keep both plugins installed). One advantage of the latter plugin is that it also detects unlinked mentions (across your notebooks) of the current note based on its title. This feature may help you find where links are needed to be added.

So once your notes are imported from Obsidian to Joplin (you can import a whole directory of Markdown files, optionally with front matter metadata - tags, etc. - for each note, if Obsidian provides this), you may start linking them to one another with the help of these plugins. If this helps, you could use the Random Note plugin to sample from the pile of notes in no particular order.

I don't have a go-to video tutorial (perhaps someone else can recommend), but there are certainly many to choose from, and the techniques used on any app (be that Obsidian, Roam Research, etc.) apply for the most part here as well.

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing me up to date. I came to realize, Zettelkasten is not so much a numerical identification system, but with the digital technology we have now, Zettelkasten method can work in Joplin substituting the cryptic numbers for something we can relate to.
I will let you know how it works out.

This thread is really interesting! Thank you all for the links to relevant plugins!

Another workaround is the Copy Anchor Link, but with the same caveat of having to move between notes.

It's worth mentioning that currently Note Link System allows one to select from the list of headers that exist in the linked note. So there is no longer need to move between notes.

2 Likes

This is a feature that would be also great for the Quick Link plugin. :wink:

1 Like