Homepage    |    GitHub    |    API    |    FAQ

Plugin: Random Note

The plugin opens a note at random from your vault. You can create a custom hotkey that opens a note at random, or use the defualt hotkey Ctrl+Alt+R

Please see the ReadMe on Github for full instructions

Check out the GitHub repo here

5 Likes

Oh my god, this was so necessary. This has been requested previously, and I even tried to write some python script which is now defunct.

I'm trying to use Joplin as "Personal Knowledge Base", and once I have collected enough notes I don't remember which ones I have. The "random" button is a beautiful way to (re-) discover old notes, then review them, connect them to other notes, or move them to a more relevant folder.

Thanks a lot for this, I'm looking forward to try it out! :heart: (edit: Works like a charm, best thing since sliced bread!)

5 Likes

An interesting idea, but I don’t know what the usage scenario is

2 Likes

This is for example very useful if you take a lot of "atomic" notes (small and dedicated to one idea) and you need to go through them in a non-hierarchical way to remember that you didn't tag this one or put references in that one. I will be useful to apply this to a specific notebook.

2 Likes

Thanks for the neat plugin. If possible, I also would like the option to open random notes from a specific notebook only. I realize that's not as random, but I can see situations when it might be just what I want to do.

1 Like

Awesome timing, I was wanting this earlier today! Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah that could be a useful feature, Thanks for the feedback. Also I think having the option to open a random tagged note, like randomly open notes with a specific tag only, will be pretty neat... I’ll try to implement these and make them available in the next update of the plugin

3 Likes

That would be nice. Would also be cool to be able to exclude completed todos.

2 Likes

Yes +1 for that.

Yeah that will be cool too

Wow, great plugin. For me and my work this function is important. Thanks alot!

Maybe something to improve: I clicked it for about 100 times and by feeling about 30% of the notes show twice or often (out of about 10.000 notes). Maybe you could increase the level of randomness. Or am i doing something wrong!?

@Kaid00, it looks like the plugin doesn't implement pagination, so it's always going to return results within the first 100 notes.

Ohh... I see, thanks for pointing that out, I'll look into it

Wow, thanks for the feedback.

No, you aren't. It seems as @laurent rightly pointed out, the plugin is always going to return a random note within the first 100 notes it Gets as it doesn't implement Pagination yet. So I'll try to work on this as soon as I can along with the above-mentioned feature upgrades, should be all good in the next release

3 Likes