Pre-release v2.9 is now available (Updated 15 November)

By the way if you're just installing the app on Windows please let me know if you're still getting the SmartScreen warning (or not).

Yes (Win10 & Win11)

smartscreen

Likewise

This time: yes, the message is showing up

I got this at 2 am GMT Fri Nov 4.

Otherwise no problems with the install. Thanks!

Hi
With this pre-release, Joplin started showing a new “folder icon” before the notebook name.

Screenshot from 2022-11-10 10-06-48

Somebody came up with this minor issue in the threat, but I could not find if there is any fix or solution.
I know I can work and deal with this inoffensive icon on Joplin, but I would like to remove them.
Is there any way to fix through CSS files, or the solution is coming in future release?
Thanks.

It should only show if you have a custom icon set on one of your notebooks so if you got rid of it then they should all disappear.

Hi thanks for your prompt answer, but I could not understand complete due to I had not set up any custom icon or emoji there.

Screenshot from 2022-11-10 11-26-56

I have understood correctly, when you refer to custom icon, the icon should set up or remove from edit notebooks menu option? Or you refer from another set up option?

If at least one of your folders uses a custom icon, then the generic icon will be added to all others too.

I just updated! How does one use the embeded pdf viewer? I don't see an option for it?

Thanks!

Ok, I understood it. Right, I have added an icon to a few sub-notebooks. Not through the menu option but instead of I added them through copy and paste icon directly to the notebooks name, assuming Joplin has the same behavior. Right? And is this a new behavior showing in this pre-release?

A new version is available:

• Fixed: Switching a note using Sidebar is slow and grayed out (#6430) (#6416 by Kenichi Kobayashi)
  • Security: Fix XSS when a specially crafted string is passed to the renderer (762b4e8)
5 Likes

Hi everyone,

If you have a Windows 10 (or 11) machine, would you mind trying to install this 2.9.17 version to see if it's displaying a SmartScreen warning? You don't need to proceed and actually install it, just check if that warning is displayed, and please let me know what you have.

The whole 2.9 release is on hold because of this warning and I'm not sure if we need to wait till SmartScreen "learns" that it's a safe program, of if there's some other issue with the Windows signature.

3 Likes

I installed Joplin 2.9.17 now on my W10 Pro machine. I did not get any warnings. It just installed fine and started as expected.

(Downloaded Joplin-Setup-2.9.17.exe from your link and double clicked the file)

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.613
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.613.0

2.9.17 both regular and portable
no prompts

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.1219
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1219.0

Same, same, without any problem.

1 Like

No problem on Windows 10 with the setup version

I was in the same position as you. I was using emojis in folder names. I was sure I had never added any custom icons through the folder settings interface. BUT, it turned out that I did have one. It was hard to spot because of the ones in the folder names. You have to open ever single one of your folders all the way down and find the one that you have added. It's very likely there and you just don't see it.

Personally, I think this is kind of wonky. I'm sure there is a reason it has to be this way in the code, but it really is an odd behaviour, IMHO. I mean, something doesn't stop being a folder when you give it a custom icon, so I don't see why the two are equivalent. And if I just want to give a custom icon to make a few folders stand out, then I have to get hundreds of folder icons in the list? It just seems odd.

@laurent, I would suggest making a very strong warning at the top of the upgrade message telling people what is about to happen to them when they upgrade. I predict that this is going to be another unexpected behaviour for lots of folks.

Thanks everyone for checking the installation. Based on the feedback here, Discord and Twitter it looks like we're good to go with v2.9!

4 Likes