Plugin: Note Tabs

As described in the README there are three commands to switch between the tabs (Switch to last active Tab, Switch to left Tab, Switch to right Tab) which you can assign any keyboard shortcut you want. If they are not shown in the keyboard shortcuts editor, you can set them directly in keymap-desktop.json.

To "close" a tab you can assign Ctrl+W to the tabsUnpinNote command. Which at least "closes" the pinned tabs.

My personal keymap-desktop.json looks like this. You can copy and paste the snippet into yours and adapt the "accelarator" to your needs.

{
    "command": "tabsSwitchLastActive",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Alt+L"
  },
  {
    "command": "tabsSwitchLeft",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Shift+Tab"
  },
  {
    "command": "tabsSwitchRight",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Tab"
  },
  {
    "command": "tabsUnpinNote",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Shift+W"
  },
4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not see the some in keyboard shortcuts editor but I will add those with json. Thanks again for the plugin!

Thanks for the reminder. Is there a reason you don't just expose these by default? Seems like a core part of using tabs is the ability to navigate by keyboard. Having to add them manually to a .json file seems super geeky to me.

As always, thanks for the plugin!

3 Likes

I can confirm that. As a non-tech user I tried to do so, but I didn't succeed yet
Thank you for your help anyway. I will try again later !

Edit : it works now ! I have no idea what I have done, but it works. Thanks again.

On the one hand, json settings files are really great. On the other hand, they can be edited incorrectly breaking things easily. It's kind of strange that they have become so common even though they are do delicate.

2 Likes

I don't want to define default shortcuts to avoid conflicts with App defaults or other plugins.

Normally it should be easy to define them via the keyboard shortcuts editor. I don't know why the App still does not show all commands of a plugin. It might still be an issue, either in the App or my plugin(s).

Setting them directly in the JSON file is just a workaround and not intended.

2 Likes

Is there any way to hide the back/forward button icons below the note title? Those buttons are already provided by this plugin so it's redundant. Is adding this to userchrome.css supposed to do that or is that referring to something else? I tried adding this to userchrome.css and didn't notice a difference.

Also it possible to make the arrows grayed out if that direction isn't possible like is done for the default back/forward buttons?

hello, has the ability to close tabs (make them disappear completely) been implemented yet?

1 Like

A recommendation:
Check "show breadcrumbs", when clicking the notebook name in "breadcrumbs", the joplin sidebar will automatically scroll and display the corresponding notebook.
I use Chinese-English translation, please forgive me if I am not clear. thanks
@benji300

1 Like

Love this plugin, changed my whole experience of Joplin for the better to be honest.

I have one question please. I have it set to keep the tabs present when I click on other tabs but when I click a notebook to then choose a note say note 8 from that notebook it automatically opens note 1 as a tab so I have to close note 1 after opening note 8 or have 2 tabs visible.

Is there any way on clicking a notebook it doesn't pick the first note inside it and make it wait for me to choose a note to then open the tab?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi
In my Archlabs Linux Joplin, Note Tabs works fine with horizontal layout:

But in my Windows 10 Joplin it does not
Same settings

What am I doing wrong, please?

Windows Joplin:

Joplin 2.8.8 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 825d7919770540fa9f7695df1faccd06
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 41
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: c2a6a13

Linux Joplin

Joplin 2.8.8 (prod, linux)

Client ID: dd8edcb750f441f7abbfbdcd5336bc4e
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 41
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: c2a6a13

Nothing, I think this is the default behavior of the plugin when you install it for the first time.
Go to the menu View > Change application layout. From there you can move the panel where you want. After that, you can resize its height.

2 Likes

Bingo!
Thanks, I must have done this already in Linux and forgot
thanks @blank :white_check_mark: :grinning: :+1:

PS Is there no option for marking solution in the forum?

Only the one who created the post (OP) can mark an answer as a solution.

1 Like

Thanks @Angel_Crawford_ftw
I had forgotten that his was a general thread on the plugin, Doh!

Wouldn't it be good to put an explanation to this effect in the plugin description or somewhere?
I wonder how many people like me (or even kleverer ones too) tried it and thought it didnt work properly?

1 Like

This layout behavior is already documented on Github, and in the discussion above :

Hello dear sir :
I use mac version Joplin , after I install the Note Tabs plugin , I can't find anything change to my layout, no tabs showing , nothing changes.

Also, I can't find any config option in the system preference / plugin section.

Please help to verify if there any problem for mac version, thank you very much.

mac: 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
joplin:

1 Like

Try reload desktop app.

thanks , my mistake , reload works :grinning: :grinning:

This plugin is great! :clap: The more I use it, the more I find out, the more I love it.
I would also really like the rounded corners if you'd ever decide to implement that. Or even just some CSS user space would do.

Also, it'd be great if there were a "move to notebook" button next to the info displayed in the breadcrumbs.