Plugin: Note Tabs

This plugin is awesome!

@benji300 If you are still enthusiastic adding new features, here is one idea:

Add an entry "Open in new tab" to the context menu (right click) for internal note links. This would pin the current note, so you don't lose context and open the link in a new tab.

This also would fit very well with the "Backlinks" plugin.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

That's a good idea. I have made a note of it.
However, there will be a small limitation. The menu item "Open in new tab" would always be visible when the context menu is opened. So even if you don't right click on an internal link. Currently, the entries in the context menu can only be statically defined and are so always displayed.

I don't know if this is possible, but in browsers it is possible to close tabs by using a mousewheel click. That could be handy here as well.

Thanks as always for your plugin. It's essential for using Joplyn.

2 Likes

I think this would be possible. I will add it. But currently I am blocked with other topics. So for now I'm just collecting new features and will add them at a later time.

4 Likes

Hei there!
I'm sure I'm missing something, can I open in a new tab via double click on a note in the list side bar? I see I can drag/drop or click the pin in the "temp" tab, but isn't it more natural to do something like this directly from the note list?

Anyway this plugin is absolutely great thank you!! :100:

2 Likes

I proposed a similar solution a while back where you pin a note from the note list as a tab by clicking the mousewheel, thus imitating the behavior of web browsers. I'm not sure however, whether or not this can be done with the plugin system.

Both ideas would be great additions to the user experience... but unfortunately they are not possible to implement in the plugin. It is not supported by the plugin API.

Also it would be difficult to add this functionality to the plugin API... because which plugin should be allowed to handle this "double click" or "mousewheel" event? What if multiple plugins implement this handler? This would trigger multiple plugin events at a time which could lead to very strange behavior. Long story short... I think this would only be possible as a core feature.

But have you seen the "Pin note to tabs" command in the context menu of the note list? Not so intuitive as double or mousewheel clicking, but maybe better than drag&drop? Although with drag&drop you are free to drop the note at any position within the panel to "pin" the notes tab there.

Sorry I've tried to search the thread for similar proposal but I missed it!
You are absolutely right, it's another viable option.

As of now I'm finding a bit more usable to use the control panel ctrl+shift+p and tipe "pin" it's fairly quick and easy!
Maybe a small tip could be to make a FAQ or something in the repo to avoid these duplicates. Thank you for your time and this great plugin! :slight_smile:

Could you tell me if the Windows client supports tab-ctrl shortcut switching tags?

1 Like

Do you mean switching tabs?

For me on Windows it does not, unfortunately, but that would be great if it did.

1 Like

The plugin provides the following commands which you can assign any keyboard shortcuts you want:

• tabsSwitchLastActive
  • tabsSwitchLeft
  • tabsSwithRight

I have assigned the following shortcuts to the commands:

{
    "command": "tabsSwitchLastActive",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Alt+L"
  },
  {
    "command": "tabsSwitchLeft",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Shift+Tab"
  },
  {
    "command": "tabsSwitchRight",
    "accelerator": "Ctrl+Tab"
  },

FYI: @whitewall

2 Likes

That's great! But they don't seem to work for me. When I try the keys you have assigned, nothing happens. I'm using v1.3.0 of the plugin and Joplin 2.1.9.

I also don't see them listed under Options>Keyboard Shortcuts

Am I missing something?

"Go to Joplin Setting>Keyboard Shortcuts>Export 2.Open the Export .json file with notepad, follow the structure to add command hotkey."

Ah. Thanks.

I don't want to be demanding, but isn't there a way to just automatically add those in when the plugin is installed? I know that there are other plugins that add in keyboard shortcuts.

Great plugin. Thank you very much. I thought I could live without it in order to avoid opening many notes at the same time (a bad tendency I may have) but I found that I need it when linking notes because I pin a note in a tab and then seek the correct note to be linked in the other tab. Then I come back in the original note and link them using @@... Is seems to me that it would be much less practical without tab. I have so many notes to link between them in order to go through thoughts "hidden" in my notes!

2 Likes

Caution! With the latest BETA version 2.2.4 of the App this plugin will no longer work. I hope to provide a new version of the plugin next week.

For details see:

9 Likes

A new version of the plugin has just been released and published to the plugin repository.

:warning: CAUTION - Requires Joplin v1.8.2 or newer

Added

• User option Show checklist completion status to display the completion status of all checklists in the selected note (details see below)
  • Ability to unpin note with middle button click on tab

Changed

• Updated plugin API to version v1.8.2 ( registerSettings ) to support app version v2.2.4 or newer

Fixed

• Escape html characters from note titles before using them as tab titles
  • Removing the tab of a completed but unpinned (temporary) to-do when editing the content of the note
    • Occured only when Unpin active tab behavior was set to a value other than Keep selected

Removed

• Bundled font packages (FontAwesome, Roboto); Use built-in versions to decrease plugin size

Notes on 'Show checklist completion status'

if user option Show checklist completion status is enabled, the completion status of ALL checklist items with the current selected note is displayed below the tabs (next to navigation buttons and breadcrumbs). For example:

The background color when all checklist items are checked is currently fixed. But I plan to support the userchrome.css in the plugin, so it will be changeable later.

4 Likes

I'm using Note Tabs 1.4 on Joplin 2.2.6. I'm seeing a minor issue with a block of gray space descending beneath the tabs, and if the tabs are in a pane above my content pane, that gray space bleeds into the background of the content pane. This is happening with the OLED Dark theme, although it seems to be happening similarly with other dark themes.

Btw, I'm sorry if I'm not using the correct Joplin terminology, as I'm fairly new to using it.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this issue @stevemagruder. I can confirm this behavior. Although I'm not sure where this comes from because I haven't changed anything in the plugin which should cause such an issue.

@laurent: I've made a short investigation and it seems that the plugin panel height is wrongly calculated. Could this be an issue in the app or did I miss something?

Screenshot 1: Joplin v2.2.6

Screenshot 2: Joplin v2.1.8

The panel height in settings.json is 67 in both cases. userchrome.css is also deactivated.

Sorry I'm not seeing the issue in the screenshots. How was it before and how is it now?