Nested Tags/ Nested Notebook Structure from Evernote?

That's great.. joplin is like a good wine.. it keeps getting better by time, especially with the new plugins.
As for the nested tags, I had the same problem as I moved some of my notes from Evernote a while ago. The only way I could deal with it was to adopt a long name convention using the slash. ex. tag1/subtag1/subsubtag1 , tag1/subtag2/subsubtag1 .. Joplin treats each as one tag, the slash as part of the tag name.

3 Likes

I really wish nested tags will be back :pray:

I just switched from single .odt documents to Joplin to have them all merged in a single app.

But nested tags will make organizing it much much better.

4 Likes

I second that!

2 Likes

It would be really usefull. Only by this function - i hesitate to migrate to joplin

3 Likes

Another Evernote Legacy migrant, Nested tags please.

Regards
Dab.

4 Likes

Another +1 for nested tags. :pray:

I bet there are may Evernote powerusers stuck in there becuase of this. Nested Tags have been holding me up from migrating from Evernote (and legacy) for 5 years or so. You can't tag something /// practically in a note as i bet you all know well. And the trade is a disfunctional notebook system.

My current motivation - Mac OS 13.3 recently updated and broke pdf view of documents in Evernote Legacy.

3 Likes

I tag lots of things by year. With nested tags I could group them all under a header tag called Year and collapse them. Without nesting the only tags I can see without scrolling down are the years going all the way back to 2008. What a mess! Please roll out nested tags ASAP.

2 Likes

Happy new year. Another Nested Tags supporter. Ditching evernote this year finally and torn down the middle between joplin and obsidian. Obsidian is very slick but joplin seems faster and lighter, nested tags would seal the deal.

plugin maybe? :eyes:

1 Like

Actually, this one seems to work kind of well

github dot com/sanbao/joplin-plugin-tagtree/

1 Like

Nice - so you tested this tagtree plugin already and can recommend it?

works for my purposes so far, purely UI supplement, definitely a few bugs and downsides such as poor controls and random tags missing (i've counted 5 missing) also it doesnt save any structure from enex files so you'd have to recreate it. Also every time you make any change to the tree every nested folder opens up, no saved state, although at least it's consistent after closing the app.

tl;dr nowhere near perfect but if you just want a table of contents for tags its pretty good. Could see this being a good base for a higher quality plugin that's more comprehensive in the future.

2 Likes