Hotfolder Plugin

Currently there are no plans to implement converters for any formats

Bit offtopic but maybe someone could make a PanDoc based plugin for multi import / export. :grin:

3 Likes

I love the plugin. I have one request. Can you make it optional to import .txt files as-is, without treating them as markdown? This causes me problems with many .txt files. If I wanted the file to be treated as markdown, then I would use the .md extension, which you already include.

I just tested importing an HTML file, and it also is treated as markdown. I'd want the HTML file to create an HTML note in Joplin, which is what I would expect to happen.

Thanks.

1 Like

Joplin uses markdown, so if a txt file now contains markdown syntax it will also be interpreted as markdown, since all notes are saved as markdown in Joplin. This cannot be changed when importing via the plugin.

1 Like

v1.1.0 (2023-06-10)

• Fix: #24 mixed case file extentions in Add as text setting
  • Add: DirectoryPath selector for hotfolder path on Joplin >= v2.10.4
  • Add: Translation to German
  • Add: Option Add text notes as Todo to import text files as ToDo
  • Add: #29 Added warning message when importing to a non-existing notebook
1 Like

Hi Jack, I exported a jex of a note from a Joplin Profile, directly into the hot folder of another profile.
I expected it to be imported as a note but instead the .jex was attached to a new note.

The plugin is not intended to re-import JEX files as notes.
It can be used to import files that are added as attachments to notes or to import txt/md/... files as notes.

Oh ok. I have two profiles and was hoping to be able to move notes between them, having a hot folder each. Export, and the import is immediate on opening the other profile. Too bad. That seemed the right tool though.

There is a built in export option for md- files. That should be able to complete your desired workflow as I understand it. Plugin: Save Note as MD - #2 by dpoulton

v1.1.1 (2024-01-11)

Are there any plans to import subfolders recursively? That would be very useful.

At the moment not, but you can open a git hub issue for this.

I am having a problem with this plugin. I am sending PDF scans from a Canon MF644CDW scanner/printer using SMB. When the scan begins, it creates a zero byte file. When the scan and send is completed, the file has all the data. The plugin doesn't import the PDF into Joplin. If I move the file to a temporary folder and then back into the Hotfolder path, the file gets imported immediately.

I am guessing that since the file is opened when the scan begins, the scanner has the file locked and the plugin cannot access it. By the time the scanner is done with the file, Hotfolder has given up trying to import it. Is there something that can be done to not try to import files until they are not locked?

• Is the hotfolder located on a SMB share?
  • Since events are used, it doesn't matter how long it takes for the file to be written

Yes, it is an SMB share (according to the Canon device):

@mrschwarz I have send you a PM with a special io.github.jackgruber.hotfolder.jpl file for testing.
Could you please report if this file is solving your problem, because I can't reproduce the issue on my systems.