Hotfolder Plugin

Only file extensions that are being enterd here are importet as notes (text), all other files are imported as resource and then a link is created.
grafik

A dropt zip file into the hotfolder loks like this in joplin than:

1 Like

Ahhh... I realized my mistake! I had put .pdf in the "as a note" parameter. I'm the one who's getting tired! Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks for your plugin(s).

1 Like

I think I would be really interested. I want to sync a specific notebook (and only this notebook) with another computer, and among other ideas I'm considering Syncthing with a folder tree with .md files.

I would have the notes in Joplin with subnotebooks mirroring the subfolders, and when I update the .md files on the other machine, my notes in Joplin would be updated too.

For now, I don't plan to edit the notes in Joplin, only reading them. but I'm sure other people would be interested into a full mirror between Joplin and a folder tree.

@CWPfVTkNBMyfdFW This is not a function I will implement in the hotfolder plugin.

Hi @JackGruber

As part of a discussion started here, I would like to try to manage a large number of files directly in Joplin. For this, I would like to make a test by importing all the files of a folder. This folder has subfolders so I can't use Hotfolder. Would it be complicated to make Hotfolder integrate all the files in a folder with subfolders ?

2 Likes

Yes, it could be changed, but I'm working on two or three other things right now, so I won't be looking at it for the next few days.

1 Like

Okay, no worries. Just let me know when you get a chance to look. No rush. Thanks for your responsiveness.

Hi @JackGruber

Now that my synchronization is working well between my different machines, I really want to import my files into Joplin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. How would you see this import by tree ? Folder names become notebooks? Folder names become tags?

This is not a function that I will implent in the plugin. Because this is a special usecase and only a ontime task.
A function to import subfolders is even more what I implement at some point. But these would have the same settings as the top folder.

For your requirement to import all your documents once, it is probably best to write a small script.
Here you can have a look at my old hotfolder python script to modify it and use it for your needs.

I understand. But I don't find this request so exotic. I'll look into whether I go through a script or an advanced search function.

SUch an amazing plugin!! I just configured it and then configured syncthing to sync the notes folder of markor app and all markdown notes were uploaded in a question of second! It does exactly what I needed!

1 Like

v1.0.1 (2021-08-12)

• Fix: #13 Hotfolder Path is missing in settings and Ignore Files shows wrong value

Hi
Does it create a new note if a previously imported file has been put in the same folder again? I am looking for a tool that will let me update an existing note instead of keep creating new ones.

Hi @kartoo ,

no the file is imported as a new note and the deleted, when you put the same file again in the folder a new note is created again.

2 Likes

Is it possible to customize that behavior, maybe as a feature request? So if the file name corresponds to the name of an existing note it just updates the contents of the existing note then deletes the local file.

Not currently, but I'll add it to the wish list and when I have a some time I may implement it.

2 Likes

It seems that I have an unexpected behaviour here with the plugin. I configured hotfolder plugin to put nots in a notebook called Import_android. Note though don't appear in this notebook. It seems to be uploaded in the current notebook.

Import_android notebook is a sub-sub-notebook. Do I have to write the whole "path" of the notebook?

My Import_android notebook is inside notebook "1 Fleeting notes" which is inside 0_Zettelkasten.

Normaly it should work like 0_Zettelkasten\1 Fleeting notes\Import_android

https://github.com/JackGruber/joplin-plugin-hotfolder#options

2 Likes

OK. THank you. It worked fine. I did not see this part of the readme.

This plugin works great. I'm using it as a workaround to get some quick note functionality on MacOS with textEdit (plain text mode). I made an Automator service to start textEdit, assigned a shortcut, and pointed the save location to the hotfolder (which luckily is persistent between reboots). This kind of mimics the behavior of the built in Quick Note feature for Apple Notes but without formatting options and without the textEdit window staying on top of other windows.

I know this is probably way out of scope for this project but automatically converting Rich Text documents and html to markdown might be really useful. This is already kind of possible with html by switching to the WYSIWYG editor, making a change to the note there and switching back to the markdown editor. I'm not sure if this functionality (turndown?) is exposed to the plugin system, however.