Hotfolder Plugin

Hey @JackGruber I apologize but I am unsure how to do that. But yes the note title will come up as "1:2:34 Lorem Ipsum..." instead of "1/2/34 Lorem Ipsum..." even though in finder it is "1/2/34..." and in the settings the date is correct.

The Setting can be found in the Plugin Configuration Tools > Options > Hotfolder > Show Advanced Settings > Loglevel, also the path to the logfile can be found there.

Ok gotcha
hotfolder.log (986 Bytes)

I need the log, when you drop such a file into the hotfolder.

hotfolder.log (3.2 KB)
Hopefully this should do it I put an unedited file about a minute ago.

Thanks again for the help!

I'm not 100% sure and I can't reproduce this, because / is on windows a not allowed char for filenames and the .DS_Store files looks like you are useing a Apple MAC?

But for me it's looks like the filesystem handels the / as a : in the file names, otherwise it would be interpreted as an folder, because the reported file name is 6:5:24 Strosinders speaker wire:adaptor (PAID).jpeg and not 6/5/24 Strosinders speaker wire/adaptor (PAID).jpeg.
Since the file name is used as the note title, the note title has also the : and not the / in the title.

Correct we are using Mac at the moment. I can see what you are saying, I wish there was a way around that but it looks like maybe not at the moment?

No at the moment not

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxx for the plugin I've discovered last week, it's saving me a loooooot of time.
But there's a little bug for me from the very beginning (Joplin 3.0.13 (prod, linux) // Hotfolder: 1.2.0)
When saving a pdf file in my hotfolder path, it's imported twice ; and there's a good one I can see / read / move to the right place, and a second one, with the same name, I can't see / read... Any idea ?


Anyway, even with this bug, I love this plugin !

Depending on the operating system, file system and application, there may be different reasons. Probably an empty file is written, then it is imported and during this process the program is writing the data to the file.

You can try to change the File ready, Polling and Polling intervall settings.

v1.2.1 (2024-11-26)

  • Fix: Don't add empty tag when tag ends with , or contains several , directly behind each other #37
  • Fix: Tagging did not work if multiple tags in Joplin started the same as the tag that should be added #37
  • Fix: File ready is automatically set to 2 if it is still configured to 0 to prevent import errors with 0 byte files (File is in use by other process)

v1.2.2 (2025-04-27)

  • Fix: Placeholder for the error message notebookNotExist was output instead of the translation string
  • Add: Option to import from Subfolders

Jack, thanks for this plugin.

I can import from subfolder, but as i have them categorized in subfolders, i would like to see them after import in Joplin also in subfolders. Now all my notes in Vivaldi browser are in one folder.

How can i do this ?

# v1.2.3 (2025-12-13)

- Add: Croatian translation (hr_HR) #43

I can't believe I went this long without using this plugin! Thank you for this.

I am having a problem setting my destination folder. I have 2 hot folders - #1 works as expected, with destination folder being: 0-INBOX which is a top level folder. With Hotfolder2, I am trying to set a destination folder that is 4 levels deep, with one of the subfolders containing spaces:

toplevel\subfolderA\subfolderB contains spaces\destination_folder

I have tried wrapping entire path in quotes and just the subfolder with spaces in quotes. Neither helped.

I just tested the following and it worked as expected (no spaces):
4-REFERENCE-TEST-\subfolderA\subfolderB\test-hot-folder

That pulled in the PDF and created a new note in test-hot-folder. So I assume the issue is spaces. How do I fix this?

(edit) - I'm curious, with the notebook ID so easily copied within the UI, why isn't destination folder using notebookID?

(edit2) - to be clear, when I enter the destination folder and click Apply, I see the Hotfolder plugin error pop-up:

Hotfolder plugin
Notebook <notebook name> for import destination of Hotfolder 2 doesn't exist use actual notebook for imports