Feature proposal

Hi there,

just began to use joplin. a feature very usefull to use especially in groups, would be to have the possibility to define different sync-targets for different notebooks, so one could share one with some people, another with others ans one only with myself.

regards
andreas

7 Likes

you can play with several profiles with

joplin --profile /path/to/profile/group1
joplin --profile /path/to/profile/group2
joplin --profile /path/to/profile/myself

good idea, but does not work with the gui-client (Joplin-1.0.101-x86_64.AppImage )

use simply joplin …

because once you’ve run once Joplin-1.0.101-x86_64.AppImage it creates ~/.config/profile-profile and then joplin add itself here ~/.joplin-bin/bin/joplin, so joplin --profile will work with version 1.0.101

1 Like

This has a few drawbacks:

You

• can't run several instanes of joplin at the same time
  • have to quit/start joplin every time you want to use a different sync target
  • don't have access to notes which use a different sync target

yes, best way would be, different targets in same instance / profile

except by using the joplin terminal version in the same time of the desktop one but you are limited to 1 instance by terminal/desktop

There's no cure for stupidity. It is impossible to build safe guards for all eventualities. At one point people have to use common sense.

I dont understand your reply
When I use joplin terminal with one profile and joplin desktop with another one at once (each syncing with a different cloud account), I have no problem at all.

Yes, you are right. However, people could use the desktop and the cli app at the same time using the same sync settings. It is possible that this can lead to problems, especially with sync delays. Conflicts are more likely, but are no different than when using the same sync server on 2 different devices.

I was just trying to convey that not all restrictions make sense and on the other hand there are restrictions that cannot prevent errors.

it's a good good idea.
I hope this could be implemented.

4 Likes

Thanks for the proposal, I am also interested in this feature!

1 Like

Hi everybody,

Is there any effort going on to implement this feature?

We are a research group in Germany doing experimental quantum computing with ion traps, and would love to use Joplin as solution for our digital labbooks.

We are currently using Onenote 2016 but will have to abandon it when we house ARTIQ, our experimental control system, in a Linux box soon.

We need to be able to sync our labbooks to shared folders as we do not want to leave our data in the hands of an external party. Nevertheless, we would really benefit with the ability to sync different projects independently.

Joplin seems like the right solution and ticks all the boxes, but this very issue of not being able to sync different labbooks independently is the deal breaker for us.

Cheers,
N.

Unfortunately Joplin is primarily focused on single user notetaking. There is a detailed outline of a multiple profile feature so it’s definitely in the pipeline somewhere, but as far as I know, nobody is actively working on it.

Bringing this thread back to life (as there was an update here that was talking exactly to what I was looking for).

I think it would be a great feature if there could be sync locations (or even better, configurations1) at some level2.

The way I'm thinking about it, and my use case for it, would some sort of "multi-profile" setup, where I have a structure like this.

• Personal
    • Home
    • Groceries
    • TODO
  • Work
    • Meeting notes
    • TODO
  • Project X
    • TODO
    • Resources

In such an example, I don't want any of my Work notes to be synced anywhere. My company uses a proprietary notes platform tool, but I love Joplin and there are many notes I prefer to take them.

On the other hand, I want both my Personal notes and the ones about Project X (a cool open-source project I'm working on) to be synced across my different computers. On top of that, I also want to have access to Personal notes on my phone. So I would like to use Dropbox for these groups (or a combination of Dropbox/JoplinServer/JoplinCloud).

Is such a feature feasible technically, and would fit the roadmap for the app?

I'm not asking "when can this be implemented?", but "is this something that fits and would benefit the project in the long term?".

If the answer is yes, I think the conversation can evolve to really fine tune the requirements.

But if the idea doesn't fit Laurent's vision on the project, I don't think it is worth investing any time digging further into "how this could be implemented".

Notes:
1: I don't think full configurations would be necessarily needed. For example, if it was easier to implement, certain things like sync interval could be shared.
2: I'm thinking of top-level notebooks as of now, but maybe there's the need to add a top-level concept, like "notebook-group", to encapsulate this (because it would be extremely confusing (and probably painful to implement, to have different nested configurations, as an example)

That's the reference issue: [Feature Request] run multiple instances of Joplin · Issue #591 · laurent22/joplin · GitHub

1 Like

I should have checked github first :man_facepalming: