Home / GitHub Page

Feature proposal

Hi there,

just began to use joplin. a feature very usefull to use especially in groups, would be to have the possibility to define different sync-targets for different notebooks, so one could share one with some people, another with others ans one only with myself.

regards
andreas

4 Likes

you can play with several profiles with

joplin --profile /path/to/profile/group1
joplin --profile /path/to/profile/group2
joplin --profile /path/to/profile/myself

good idea, but does not work with the gui-client (Joplin-1.0.101-x86_64.AppImage )

use simply joplin …

because once you’ve run once Joplin-1.0.101-x86_64.AppImage it creates ~/.config/profile-profile and then joplin add itself here ~/.joplin-bin/bin/joplin, so joplin --profile will work with version 1.0.101

1 Like

This has a few drawbacks:

You

• can’t run several instanes of joplin at the same time
  • have to quit/start joplin every time you want to use a different sync target
  • don’t have access to notes which use a different sync target

yes, best way would be, different targets in same instance / profile

except by using the joplin terminal version in the same time of the desktop one but you are limited to 1 instance by terminal/desktop

There’s no cure for stupidity. It is impossible to build safe guards for all eventualities. At one point people have to use common sense.

I dont understand your reply
When I use joplin terminal with one profile and joplin desktop with another one at once (each syncing with a different cloud account), I have no problem at all.

Yes, you are right. However, people could use the desktop and the cli app at the same time using the same sync settings. It is possible that this can lead to problems, especially with sync delays. Conflicts are more likely, but are no different than when using the same sync server on 2 different devices.

I was just trying to convey that not all restrictions make sense and on the other hand there are restrictions that cannot prevent errors.

it’s a good good idea.
I hope this could be implemented.

3 Likes

Thanks for the proposal, I am also interested in this feature!