Some items cannot be synchronized. Press for more info

Hello, I am new to Joplin. Installed desktop. Converted Evernote notes fine. Synced with dropbox. So far things looking good.

After installing the app on iphone, there’s an orange bar above that said “Some items cannot be synchronized. Press for more info.”. There are several files attached to notes that’s above size limit and cannot be downloaded. It’s fine not downloading. How can I get ride of the orange bar? It’s taking away substantial screen space. Thank you.

To report a bug, please let us know:

  • The version you are using. LATEST VERSION is not a version number!
    iOS 10.0.49
  • The operating system you are using.
    iOS
1 Like

Joplin 1.0.216, Ubuntu Studio 18.04

“Some items cannot be synchronized. View them now”. Clicking on the view link takes me to a page where Joplin says it “failed to decrypt these items multiple times, possibly because they are corrupted or too large.”

Then the resource is listed and there is a link / button I can click to try again which will temporarily remove the warning.

Since my notes are encrypted I have no way of looking at that resource outside of Joplin. Now:

  1. Why is there no way to copy the resource ID? I had to manually write it down to search for it in Joplin.

  2. On PC Joplin says the resource was not decrypted “possibly because they are corrupted or too large”. On my phone, Joplin does not provide a way to see details like file size for images, but the original is still in the gallery, 2.06 MB. That should mean it’s not too large, but since Joplin on the phone shows it just fine it shouldn’t be corrupted either. So it seems something went wrong the first time this was synced to the Joplin on my PC. How do I force Joplin to re-download this image?

  3. I was thinking that Re-encryption might help, but it seems I can only do that from the PC, not from the phone. Skipping this since the problem is on the PC

  4. As a workaround I added the same image to the note on my phone (so my phone showed it twice). Then I synced, and on the PC I deleted the broken image. The PC now shows the image (newest version) AND still complains that it can’t decrypt the old version. How do I get rid of this broken resource? Why does Joplin keep complaining about it when no notes are using that resource anymore?

  5. On the PC, Tools > Note attachments lists all attachments. However there is no search function, so finding the bad resource is a tedious task (close to impossible if there are many of them). That makes it easy to make mistakes and delete the wrong resource. Why is there no search?

Thankful for any and all input on this issue

1 Like

I am also running into this issue on the desktop app. What I tried;

  • Removed the attachment in the Android app, sync
  • Synced the desktop app > no result
  • Removed the note in the Android app, sync
  • Synced the desktop app > no result
  • Removed the resource from the nextcloud server
  • Synced the desktop app > no result
  • Tried the option to "retry" in the desktop app > no result

It would be nice to fix this issue, also since the banner cannot be clicked away, so it remains in sight all the time.

Android app: v 1.7.5
Linux app: 1.7.11

I manage to hide the notification bar by removing the record from the database.sqlite, just search the id in resources table and delete it

1 Like

This problem was resolved for me when I finally did try point number 3: running re-encryption from the PC.

I still think it would be an enhancement to Joplin if the attachment list (Tools > Note attachments...) would show to which notes an attachment belongs, and if there was a way to search attachments.

Currently there is no obvious way of determining whether there are orphaned attachments or not.

Not en masse but for any individual attachment is very easy -- you just put its id in the search box. Since attachment link must include its id, if nothing is found, then the attachment is not used. Although it might be linked to an old revision of a deleted note.

I did this too and it worked for me. I used "DB Browser for SQLite" program.