Plugin: Note Tabs

awesome plugin! love it!

Are most people using the 0.1.0 release, or are they building it themselves? I'm anxious to try it out, but I know the dev alluded to working on a new release, so I've been holding off...

Just waiting here on 0.1.0 too, @dfwdraco76. I think @benji300 did an excellent job for a first release. I'm finding it stable and does pretty much exactly what I need. So I'm happy to stick with it until the next release is ready.

The Note Tabs plugin has made a big difference to getting stuff done here. Kudos to devs for building the plugin system, and to @benji300 for making such a remarkable use of it in its early days.

3 Likes

Great plugin!

Remember last opened and unpinned note

Is there a way to disable this function?

I have found this plugin absolutely awesome. I had posted about my desire for tabs earlier and this works like a dream. Or almost :slight_smile:

I cannot for the life of me get the keyboard shortcuts to work. I have followed the advice from @uxamanda and added the json statement to keymap-desktop.json. I have restarted Joplin and then the computer. The shortcuts do not work, they do not appear in the list of shortcuts shown in Options, and they do not appear in the Tools > Tabs menu.

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I am using Joplin 1.4.19 and 0.1.0 of the plugin. Have I missed out a step?

1 Like

Indeed, a very nice plug-in. Much appreciated!
I wish it could become a part of JOPLIN built-in features.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Regarding the v0.1.0 release... there are two main reasons why I decided to make it a "pre-release":

1. The plugin system is still not stable (correct me if I'm wrong). So there's still a chance of breaking changes within the plugin. It might be possible that your pinned notes get lost or any other settings in the next release. Of course I try to avoid such things. But I cannot rule it out.
  2. The plugin uses the global settings to save the pinned notes. Of course I use the available API to save or read the settings. But at the moment I don't have the possibility to test the synchronization behavior. I'm not sure if the settings are synchronized at all, but I would like to be able to exclude possible issues. So I wanted to wait for feedback and see if there are any problems at this point.

If someone has already made experiences with synchronizing the plugin... feel free to post it here.

So if both points are solved, I will provide an official release of the plugin. I hope this is as soon as possible :wink:

1 Like

Thank for your feedback.

Unfortunately this is not possible right now.
What's the behavior you would expect in case this is disabled? Would it be the following?

When you switch from the unpinned note (the italic one) to a pinned note, the unpinned one should dissapear?

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you like the plugin. :smiley:

Are you using Joplin on a Windows machine? In this case, the proposed solution is not 100% correct. You have to replace the stated Cmd shortcut with Ctrl in keymaps-desktop.json.

Are sure that you have stored the keymaps-desktop.json in your profile directory. You can open it via the menu option Help > Open profile directory. After it opens the default explorer you should see the file.

I'm not entirely sure what that means. Settings and states are never synced.

That's what I was thinking. But it's ok. I was just curious if there was a setting I was missing.

Thanks so much for the plugin! I hope you enjoy making. It's going to help many people.

Hi, I got it working but it involved an extra step. I will explain here in case any other Windows user is puzzled.

1. I took the keyboard shortcuts and changed Cmd to Ctrl.
  2. I added them to keymap-desktop.json and put this in the profile directory.
  3. I went to Tools > Options >Keyboard Shortcuts and clicked on Import. I imported the keymap-desktop.json file from my profile.

Bingo! It worked.

Many thanks indeed. The keyboard shortcuts make it even better :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, that's even better. Actually I thought that the entire sqlite database is synced. So I can skip this point.

Thanks.

Hi @benji300,

Cool idea of using webView for it!

I would have feature requests:
Pin note from right click menu inside editor (editor context)
and
Open note in new tab via context menu.

Pin note from right click menu inside editor (editor context)

2 Likes

Actually, It should be possible to use CmdOrCtrl.

1 Like

Indeed menu items that were created without an accelerator didn't show up in the keymap editor. This will be fixed from the next release.

I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly.
You want to open a note other than the selected one in a new tab from the notes list context menu? Then already pinned?

Not open but send to tabs list. On second thought though, there is only 1 non pinned tab.
So maybe just pin note straight from notes list context menu.

1 Like

Actually, I wanted to write that too :wink: not open but only pin.
I think this is a useful extension. Created a feature request for it.

1 Like