Notebook, Note, To-do, Tag, Search Favorites Plugin

A new version of the plugin has just been released: v1.2.0 (Release on GitHub)

Added

• Ability to drag & drop notes from note-tabs plugin to add as favorite
  • Ability to rename and delete favorites directly in panel (vertical layout only)
    • Via new hover buttons on the right side

Changed

• Drag & drop behavior to add notebooks, notes or to-dos
    • Move them onto the panel to add new favorite at the dropped position
  • Scroll horizontally without holding Shift key in horizontal layout
  • Command labels (Removed Favs: prefix)

Fixed

• Search favorites with phrases in query cannot be opened, edited or deleted (#4)
4 Likes

The Favourites and Note Tabs plugins work so well together, and are so very elegantly implemented. Kudos and thanks!

3 Likes

The Favourites and Note Tabs plugins work so well together, and are so very elegantly implemented. Kudos and thanks!

I agree, and they add immensely to the usability of Joplin. It's like a whole new app.

3 Likes

And as someone transitioning from Evernote Legacy, the two plugins provide a nice sense of familiarity.

1 Like

Or an enhancement if coming from Evernote Windows, which never had note tabs, unlike EN Mac. Just one reason why I could never go back to EN.

1 Like

A new version of the plugin has just been released: v1.2.1 (Release on GitHub)

Fixed

• Issue that caused infinite message loop between plugin and app (#7)
  • Ability to drag note favorites onto note-tabs plugin panel
2 Likes

Maybe I'm not understanding something about the favorite "tabs" width. But I have several favorites where the custom title I give them is a short abbreviation of a city name. I expected the favorite tabs (I'm viewing them horizontally) to only be as wide as the text of the title. Instead, they seem to be much wider, even when I have the minimum set low. So here are my settings:

And here is what I see:

I'll confess that I am always expecting the tabs and the favorites to work just like they do in my browser. And in my browser width of the favorite (well, bookmark in that case) is never wider than what it takes to display the title of the bookmark. Should I be expecting your plugin to work that way?

Thanks!! I'm not complaining. But perhaps there are others that expect the same behaviour. And now that I think about it, in my browser bookmark toolbar (which is what I am expecting the favorites to be like) there is no such thing as minimum and maximum width. Everything just is exactly what it is, namely, as wide as the text of the title. (ok, maybe there is a max width) And of course it doesn't scroll left and right. If there is an overflow, the rest display vertically when clicking on a "more" type icon. I find this behaviour to be most useful. The bookmarks always look the same and they are always in the same place. Unlike tabs which are always changing.

You've found an issue (#8) in the plugin. It seems to be introduced in v1.2.0. The width of the favorites should depend on the minimum and maximum width settings.

To achieve your desired behavior you should actually configure a very small minimum (e.g. 5) and very large maximum (e.g. 500) width. Then the width of the favorites should always depend on the title. Of course only if the plugin works properly :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm. That didn't work.

gives me this. The name of the tab is just #

If I set max to 100 I get this

But I'll just wait patiently till the update. Thanks!

I have a small request. When saving a search, the plugin removes trailing spaces in the search query. This is undesirable because I often save a root search, then modify by adding terms on the search bar. It's a small thing, but having to remember to tap the spacebar each time shouldn't be necessary. Can you remove the trimming trailing whitespace?

I'll have to check if there was a reason why I add it. But if not, then I can remove it again of course.

I don't mean to pester, but I'd still love to see this fixed when possible. Sadly I don't code so I can't offer anything but enthusiasm. Thanks for the plugin!!

Unfortunately, I'm blocked by other topics at the moment. But I will definitely fix it.

1 Like

i've been using your plugin(s) since it came out. thank you for this great addition, it made using joplin more convenient.

would you consider adding an optional feature to focus on the sidebar when clicking on a favorite link?

:Focus: Sidebar (focusElementSideBar)

which can be activated via Ctrl + Shift + P
this action also has a shortcut using Ctrl + Shift + S

Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

I'm not quite sure I understand your request correctly.... You want that every time you click on a favorite (no matter if note, folder, etc.), that afterwards the command focusElementSideBar is executed automatically?

I like that idea. But I would go one step further and make it selectable for each favorite. You could then choose yourself what exactly is focused (sidebar, notelist, note or global search) after clicking on a favorite. Of course this would be optional. So you have to set it explicitly for each favorite, otherwise it behaves as before.

1 Like

yes, sorry i didn't elaborate it further. but you read my mind, your description is exactly how it came to mind. however i didn't thought other focus elements would be so useful, but i could be wrong.

1 Like

All right, then I will add it. I think giving the user the choice doesn't mean that much extra work. So I see no reason to limit it here. Plus, it'll make it easier to expand later... if necessary.

1 Like

I am new to Joplin and miss the favorites feature, in particular in the smartphone app. Do I see it right that there is currently no way to have a favorites (notes, tags, searches) functionality in the smartphone app? What is the appropriate way to ask for such a feature?

You can open a feature request here

The Favorites plugin stopped working when I updated Joplin to version 2.2.6. It entirely disappears from the menus. Removal and re-installation does not help. I reverted back to Joplin version 2.1.9 and the plugin is working again.

1 Like