Notebook, Note, To-do, Tag, Search Favorites Plugin

This worked really well. I put the visibility toggle on F9 so now I have to press F9 and F10 to hide the sidebar but I guess that's fine.

I see your point and I agree. The solution I proposed above is not very elegant as it only covers some, albeit common, use cases. I really like the idea of a "Zen Mode" plugin.

The divider color from the plugin just controls the color of the lines between your favorites. What you're referring to is controlled by Joplin itself.

2 Likes

I frequently use keyboard shortcuts to hide/show the two sidebars. I wanted to use this plugin above the notebooks sidebar, but with it taking an extra keypress to hide this favorites pane, I'm unlikely to use it. The zen mode plugin proposal would help with this, especially since it could also be set to hide formatting buttons.

Another possibility would be to allow keyboard shortcuts to be assigned to hide/show a column. So if I could assign F1 to toggle the full first pane column, then when I add other plugins to that column they'd all hide/show at the same time.

1 Like

A new version of the plugin has just been released: v1.1.0 (Release on GitHub)
It is already available in the plugin repository.

Notable changes:

Fixed:

• Edited search queries not beeing saved
2 Likes

Great plugin! Thanks!

Right clicking on a favorite brings up the edit dialogue box.

For notes in the Favorites panel, would it be possible to bring up a menu instead when right clicking? Perhaps add some of the items that are available when right clicking note in note list - the one I specifically had in mind was "Copy Markdown Link". And of course "Edit Favorite" would be one of the menu options.

Even if feasible, might wait to see if others think this would be useful. I could be an outlier in this regard.

Technically it would be possible to add a context menu. However, I decided against to add it, because it is currently not properly supported. If the context menu would exceed the boundaries of the panel for various reasons, it would disappear behind the others. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for that either.
I have already analyzed this here.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, that sounds like a bigger issue that may need to be revisited as more and more plugins take advantage of panels and the flexibility of the layout. Some of those plugins will really benefit from being able to display menu options (unlike this case, where the menu option would be more of a marginal benefit).

Just wanna say THANKS for the great plugin!!
I am very interested in shortcut for toggle.

One idea or is is still possible? Can i move the sidebar to a topbar etc?

Do you mean like what you get from View > Change application layout? Not sure if that's what you are looking for.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the feature, but I am unable to drag a note or folder into the favorites area to "add" it. It seems like I have to use the context menu.

I also cannot drag a note into a folder that is favorited, but I think that one might be a feature request. :slight_smile:

I read it the same way. You actually have to drag/drop onto the "Favorites" title.

1 Like

Ah, yup, that works, thanks!

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm a heavy tags user.
I use 3 tags by default and looks like this:
customer:Customer name (can have spaces, so I use "")
project:Project name (can have spaces, so i use "")

IE: tag:"customer:coca cola" tag:"project:new beverage" tag:"status:waiting for customer"

It seems that, when I save the search with the "" sign the favorite search doesn't work anymore. I can click the search favorite in the panel but it doesn't copy to clipboard and doesn't focus to the search option in Joplin.
I also can't seem to edit these search favorites anymore, the window doesn't pop up like it used to do.

It does with with simple 1 word queries, but since I have the possibility of spaces in the tags, joplin can't find it, so I need to use "" signs.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug?

2 Likes

No you're not doing anything wrong. It should work as you expect. I can confirm this is an issue in the plugin. I will fix it in the next version.
Thanks for the hint :+1:

1 Like

No problem, glad to help. I love the new plugin system and am an avid Joplin user, I'm not a programmer myself so I try to do my contribution this way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried 2 times to install plugin but it doesn't appear in the UI.
The details is on the screenshots.
Jopling version 1.5.11
Pligin version 1.1.0
OS - MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

The Plugin has a Joplin min version of 1.6.5 and you are on 1.5.11
On the Pluginsystem there was so many changes, that your version is old.

1 Like

Thank you, so stupid from my side, I installed Joplin few weeks ago and when I today read the requirements in the plugin's readme couldn't even imagine that in such short period of time Joplin has so much versions upgrade, so, I didn't check.

1 Like

Found a bug. I like to use some searches that include phrases. If I save them in Favorites, they don't work. Furthermore, I can't delete them either. It appears that quotes inside searches are the problem. Example: if you save "test text" as a search, it saves but is completely dead - can't use it, can't delete it.

Already known issue. See here: Search favorites with phrases in query cannot be opened, edited or deleted · Issue #4 · benji300/joplin-favorites · GitHub
I'm already working on it. Will be fixed in next release.

1 Like