Moving from Evernote to Joplin - import limitations

Hi, i'm searching for a note taking app to switch from Evernote and i'm facing a rather annoying "non-feature". My notes include a lot of pictures and twitter excerpts which, when imported from enex file either show as picture icon or as plain text without any formating and pictures.

Is this normal behaviour, since it's a deal breaker for me, i can't manualy edit some 1000+ notes?

Joplin : Joplin 2.3.5 (prod, win32)
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: 819af3c

Thanks for the answer and possibly solution for my problem,
Andrej

Could you provide the ENEX file?

Hey, you're fast. Enex for this particular note attached.
Thanks for your support and hope that solution exists :slight_smile:

Oops, i'm a new user and can't attach files.

New users can't add links (we had problems with spam and had to disable it) but you should be able to attach an actual file to the note, is it not working?

Nope, when trying to post, it says "Sorry, new users can't put links in posts.". It's a 3MB enex file, could it be the size, that's causing this message?

Ok looks like Discourse count an attachment as a link. I've changed the settings to allow this (I think) - could you try again please?

Sorry, still the same message. I'll logout and login again.

Ok let me know. Otherwise I'll just increase the limit to 1 link.

Nope, still the same. Please, do.

Ok that should work now.

Yes, it does.
EnexExample.enex (2.8 MB)

1 Like

Ok I see what the issue is, but it's not something that can be fixed because Markdown doesn't have the required formatting to render the Twitter posts (such as border, nested boxes, etc.).

One option would to import the notes as HTML. In that case most of the formatting is preserved:

The drawback is that you cannot easily modify it like a Markdown note. But if you have many such clipped notes that you don't intend to modify, importing as HTML might be a good option.

Laurent, thanks for your suggestion, i'm now leaving for a well deserved holliday, i'll try it when i come back. Guess it's doable. Many thanks,
Andrej

If i try to import the html formatted Evernote files, Win app still wants the .enex extension.
Like i said, will try when i come back.

Yes you need to select the option "ENEX - Evernote Export File (as HTML)" and that should work.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.