Moved all my data to Joplin, 2 features I miss

Joplin is great:
FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)
Truly multi-platform: Desktop (Linux, macOS, Win), Android and iOS
Cloud sync with E2EE (End-to-End Encryption)
Support for attachments
Support for ToDos

As far as I know, Joplin is the only app now that fits all above.

The only two things I miss:

1. An easy and quick way to add a voice clip to a note (please see this)

2. Rearrange ToDo items or, at least, move completed items to the bottom and unmarked items to the top

Both are mostly needed on mobile only so, for my needs at least, there is no need to change the desktop app. Both could be implemented on mobile without the need to change the desktop app.

Thanks for such a great app, and keep up the excellent work to all devs!

Cheers!

7 Likes

Totally agree, it's a wonderful app for exactly the reasons you mentioned and many more. Manual sorting on mobile is also one of my biggest wishes!

To-dos can already be sorted by completion status:
The option "Uncompleted to-dos on top" in the sorting menu of the mobile client does just that.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment. I tried this before posting, and it seems that it just moves notes that are ToDos to the top of the notes lists, not the ToDo items in the note itself. Or did I miss something?

Cheers!

it seems that it just moves notes that are ToDos to the top of the notes lists, not the ToDo items in the note itself. Or did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. The core Joplin app doesn't do anything with checkboxes inside a note. I'm unaware of any plugin that will rearrange checkboxes inside a note, but you might be interested in the Inline Todo Plugin

1 Like

@jb261 Thank you for your reply. I am new to Joplin, but plugins are available only for the Desktop? I use ToDo lists mostly on mobile (groceries list, things I need to do during the day, etc), so I miss this feature on mobile. This is where I think a quick voice note button would help a lot too.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, plugins are for desktop app.

I use ToDo lists mostly on mobile (groceries list, things I need to do during the day, etc), so I miss this feature on mobile.

Others will have to chime in, but for things like grocery lists, I use iOS Reminders - far more convenient than trying to shoe-horn that kind of repeating list into Joplin.

Thank you, again. Yes, in the mean time I will keep using the previous app. But I have removed all my private and sensitive data from it, so at least I feel much better now (the previous app is Totally ProprietaryTM).

If you create a separate notebook for each list (e.g. a notebook "grocery list"), you can use To-Do type notes as list items (instead of ToDo items inside the body of one single note). Then the option "Uncompleted to-dos on top" will do the trick...

If desired, several notebooks representing individual to-do lists can also be grouped using the notebook hierarchy. All this is possible without using any plugins... thus also on mobile.

2 Likes

Oh, I see what you mean... It is a clever workaround indeed, but also not straightforward to use/manage. Hopefully this can be implemented inside a ToDo note soon, it would be much better. Thanks!

I like this solution for a shopping list with a shopping-mode :wink: within Joplin:

I like this solution for a shopping list with a shopping-mode :wink: within Joplin:

Adding on to the solutions presented there, if you have just a few two to-do notes, CSS can be used to move completed to-dos to the end. For example:

- [ ] Task
- [x] list
- [ ] here
- [ ] ...

<style>
	/* ul:has(...): Any Unordered List that contains
	   input[type="checkbox"]: A checkbox element. */
	ul:has(input[type="checkbox"]) {
		/* Use flex: This lets us re-order list items with the
		  `order: 0` or `order: 1` below. */
		display: flex;
		flex-direction: column;
	}

/* List items within checklists */
	ul:has(input[type="checkbox"]) > li {
		/* Default to start */
		order: 0;
	}

/* List items that contain checked checkboxes */
	/* Edit: Changed :has(input[checked]) to :has(> * > input[checked])
	   to fix nested checklists not sorted correctly */
	ul:has(input[type="checkbox"]) > li:has(> * > input[checked]) {
		/* Move to end */
		order: 1;
	}
</style>

Note: This only moves completed to-dos to the end in the note viewer and doesn't change the keyboard navigation ordering of the checkboxes.

@Wimvan @personalizedrefriger

Thank you a lot for your suggestions!

I took at look at the final solution in the other thread, but it did not quite work for me:

1. I normally use a dark theme, and the items text was black (probably easy fix, but I really do not want to look at CSS code for now)
  2. It works the opposite way that I normally do things: selected items are shown in Shopping Mode, and they are hidden when tapped (unselected), not a big deal, but still different
  3. The unmarked items are hidden: also different, and probably more a "psychological" issue, but I prefer to have all items visible all the time, so I can change items "on-the-go", also not a big deal for sure

But I really liked @personalizedrefriger suggestion: the extra CSS code is kept at the bottom and this way I can keep the list sorted alphabetically and it works more like what I am used too.

By the way, I did not know I could use CSS inside a Markdown document like this! I used to do things in CSS a long time ago, but this is something I really do not like to do, but it is good to know that this is a possibility!

Cheers!

1 Like