Joplin as a shopping list

TLDR;

With the help of a little CSS, and the right workflow, Joplin can very efficiently replace a full featured shopping list app. There's still margin for improvement though.

Intro

I just wanted to share my thoughts and trials on how I use Joplin as a shopping list app. Comments, ideas, suggestions and critics are welcome. I wonder if there are other folks out there using Joplin for shopping, and how they do it.

The same logic applies to other type of lists, like travel lists.

What do I expect from a shopping list app ?

First of all, when we talk about shopping lists, we talk mostly about mobile apps. Usually you don't take your laptop with you when you go grocery shopping. So, no plugins have to be used, as Joplin's mobile app doesn't support plugins.

Second, what do I expect from a shopping app ? Well, I tested many of them, and until now I used Out of Milk, because it's one of the only shopping apps out there that :

• Works on a dual list principle (you pick your items to shop in an item or pantry list, and they go in a shopping list). That's a must have for me : having a list with all the items I usually buy (the pantry list), and being able to pick items from that list to build a shopping list.
  • And has a desktop app. Well, sort of, it has a webapp, but that's good enough for me.

However, there are some serious limitations :

• First, it only works in the US and Canada. Meaning it's not available in Play Store, and declines all connections on the webapp from outside US and Canada. I still managed to use it from Europe, by installing the mobile app manually, and using a VPN when accessing the webapp. But it's cumbersome.
  • And it lacks some functionalities, like the possibility to add a picture to an item.

Using Joplin as a shopping list app

Having started to use Joplin as a note taking app a few months ago, I was wondering if it could replace my favorite shopping app. My main concern was my wish for a dual list system (item list → shopping list). Obviously, with Joplin, there's no way that checking an item in a note copies it into another note.

My first idea was to have an "items" note, and copy/paste the individual items into a "shopping note" when I decide that I need to buy those items on my next shopping session. Cumbersome and time consuming...

Another idea is to use a "shopping" notebook, with to-dos inside it (each item being a to-do). See #post_6. Too basic IMO. No dual list (item list → shopping list), no way to categorize items, ...

How I ended up doing it : a single note + custom CSS

I ended up using only 1 note, with custom CSS styles, and inverting the checkbox logic :

<style>
input[type=checkbox]:checked {
	width: 17px;
	height: 17px;
}
input[type=checkbox]:checked + label {
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 1.1em;
	opacity: 1;
}

/*
input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked) {
	display: none;
}
input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked) + label {
}
*/
</style>

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [ ] Oranges
# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [ ] Cheese

Notice the CSS block partially commented out (\*...*\), more on that later.

If I decide I need apples and milk next time I go shopping, I just check those 2 items. Contrary to the default appearance, which decreases a checked item's opacity and makes it less visible, my CSS ensures the checked items are made more visible, by increasing their size, and using a bold font. Checked items are items I want to buy next time I go shopping.

When I finally go shopping, I un-comment the following CSS code, which hides unchecked items (e.g., items I don't want to buy during this shopping session) :

input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked) {
}
input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked) + label {
}

All I have left in my note are the items I want to buy, the other items are all hidden. And every time I buy an item, I uncheck it, and it becomes hidden too. At the end of the shopping session my list is empty, once all the items have been bought.

All that remains to do then is to comment out again the CSS code, to display again all items, checked or not.

Closing thoughts

So, it's not perfect either, because having to comment out / uncomment some CSS codes during the shopping process is not ideal. And unchecking an item when buying it, instead of checking it, is a little counterintuitive. But nevertheless it does the job, and Joplin has indeed become my new shopping list app (and also my travel list app, which is similar in principle).

However, it's not for everyone. A non-tech user wouldn't probably understand the concept of commenting out / decommenting CSS code. My opinion however is that Joplin is very close to be natively a nice shopping list app. Some Joplin developers could maybe look into it, how to improve it in order to make it usable as a shopping list app without having to play with CSS. I think there's a market out there for that, real shopping apps are not that common in the Play Store (or Apple store). By real shopping apps I mean shopping apps following the dual list principle, being able to handle pictures, and with a desktop app. Basic list apps are plenty, but more elaborate ones are scarce.

9 Likes

Your approach to uncheck items that you have put in your basket is exactly what i practise with my shopping list in ‚notes‘ on my phone.
Your approach to use two lists is exactly what I would like to have.
I like your idea and I just like to let you know that. :smiley:

If you see an easy way to use your idea without deep custom css knowledge, please do not hesitate to share it here with us tech-ignorant folks :wink:
Nevertheless enjoy your solution!!!

@chentao I like these creative ideas a lot.
@Wimvan here's something to consider.

Here's how I would do it with AI in Joplin (see Jarvis). Assume that I have a list of items that I usually buy (the top list in the example below). Once I check the ones that I'd like to buy this time, I can ask the assistant to generate a second list ("copy only checked..."). It then returns the bottom list that I'd be using in the shop.

# Items list

- [ ] bread
- [x] milk
- [ ] oranges
- [x] macbook

copy only checked items from the shopping list above and uncheck them. sort them by departments.

Jarvis:
# Electronics
- [ ] macbook

# Dairy
- [ ] milk

6 Likes

Full ack - and with the addition of background sync on mobile platforms, Joplin would be great not only for taking notes, but also for quick to-do management of which "shopping lists" are an example.

@shikuz :
Great, I didn't know that AI had made it into Joplin. I'm going to test your plugin as soon as I find a moment.

Only downside I see to your idea is that the last step before shopping (copying the checked items to a new list) has to be done on the desktop app, because it needs the plugin. No problem for me, I'm never far away from my laptop, but I still think for the general public it would be better to be able to handle the whole shopping process autonomously on the mobile app.

@Wimvan :

Like I mentioned in my post, if you happen to live in North America then Out of Milk is a nice app to handle the dual list approach. Outside North America you have to circumvent their geo restriction though, which can be a pain.

Just copy/paste my example into a note and try it for yourself, you don't need any CSS knowledge at all to use it. Just remember to comment / de-comment the CSS block that hides/displays the unchecked items, according to your needs (e.g. put the block between /* and */ to show the unchecked items, and remove /* and */ to hide them).

1 Like

I'm not in the US and I would not enjoy hazzling around due to some unpleasant geo restrictions here. I like your idea here for Joplin far more!

Did it and found out, it's working with simply deleting and re-entering the '/*'. (I was not sure, what comment or de-comment would mean here, but I got it now.) I will see, if I prefer it or stick with simply Notes on my iOS.
Thing is, that on mobile, modifying the note always makes Jopling switch into the markdown editor and back and doing that changing the view always to the top of the note. But that's another story.

Thx a lot!!!

I'm

Interesting point. I added it to one of my issues report on GH (https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/issues/8621). Indeed, navigation in Joplin is something that could be improved.

Tested your plugin, works. A lot of trial and error is needed though to get the desired result, Jarvis can be stubborn :wink:. You have to be rather verbose to get the result.

I prefer my CSS solution though, much easier to use than resorting to AI. But still, it's a great plugin to do some advanced text manipulation, like selectively copying items.

NB : As an unrelated side note, I couldn't get Chat with your notes working (see chat with your notes - stuck at Generating notes response... · Issue #13 · alondmnt/joplin-plugin-jarvis · GitHub)

Here's what worked :

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges
# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [x] Cheese

Jarvis: Here is your list:

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges

# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [x] Cheese

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

User: Copy checked items from the list. Don't copy unchecked items. Keep the checkboxes. Keep the categories. After having done all that, uncheck all the items.

Jarvis: Here is the modified list with the checked items copied and the unchecked items removed. The checked items have also been unchecked:

# Fruits
- [ ] Oranges

# Dairy products
- [ ] Cheese

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Some unsuccessful attempts :

Attempt 1

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges
# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [x] Cheese

Jarvis: Great! I see that you have listed apples and oranges under fruits, and milk and cheese under dairy products. Is there anything else you would like to add or modify?

User: Copy only checked items from the shopping list above. Don't copy unchecked items. After having copied all the checked items, uncheck them all

Jarvis: Sure, here's the modified shopping list:

# Fruits
- [x] Oranges

# Dairy products
- [x] Cheese

I have copied the checked items and removed the unchecked items from the list. Additionally, I have unchecked all the items. Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!

Additionally, I have unchecked all the items. : no Jarvis, you haven't !

Attempt 2

This time Jarvis transformed the checkboxes into a bullet point list :

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges
# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [x] Cheese

Jarvis: Here is a list of fruits and dairy products:

Fruits:
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges

Dairy products:
- [ ] Milk
- [x] Cheese

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!

User: Copy checked items from the list. Don't copy unchecked items.

Jarvis: Sure! Here are the checked items from the list:

- Oranges
- Cheese

Is there anything else you need?

First of all, as I said before I really like the CSS solution. This was just another thinking exercise for how AIs can assist with our daily tasks (big or small), and it seemed like it could have helped Wimvan.

As these LLM / AI models are still in their infancy (yet very powerful), there's the issue of "prompt engineering" (or prompt art) in order to get them to do exactly what you want in a reproducible manner. Also, some models are more sensitive than others (Jarvis is just an interface to models, not a model). In the example that I provided earlier I used gpt-4, which follows complex instructions (copy + uncheck instead of just copying) more closely than other models, so I didn't need to work hard to get the prompt right. This is not the default model that I use (which is gpt-3.5-turbo), but sometimes I switch between them and apparently gpt-4 was on at the time, which made my life a lot easier. In any case, prompting will become easier as models become "smarter", and they do that quite rapidly.

Thanks for the issue report, replied to you on GH.

EDIT: Here's a working example for a prompt template for gpt-3.5-turbo that worked for me, which you are welcome to try. You may save the prompt at the bottom of the note, and run it every time you modify the shopping list to generate a new one. Perhaps sometimes it will fail (the prompt may need some polishing). The reason this works better is that AI models learn well from examples that appear in their prompts (this is sometimes called few-shot learning / prompting).

# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges
- [ ] Peeches
- [x] Grapes
# Dairy products
- [x] Milk
- [ ] Cheese
- [x] Yogurt

I would like to you to create a modified shopping list that contains only a subset of its items:
1. from each department, select only the checked items.
2. uncheck the checkboxes of the selected items.
3. list the selected items with empty checkboxes.

For example, here is a shopping list:
# Fruits
- [x] Apples
- [ ] Oranges

And the output of step 3 should be:
# Fruits
- [ ] Apples

Provide the output of step 3 for the list I first provided.
1 Like

The idea of using Jarvis to enhance chentao's idea sounds good. Unfortunately it won't work on mobile app directly. I just wonder would it be a good idea to have similar feature provided by Joplin cloud (as a part of paid service) and bundle on mobile app and allow user to achieve any workflow by just writing prompt?

Like @shikuz said, his example was more of a demonstration of how Jarvis can help with daily tasks, like to selectively copy and transform list or checkboxes. While I can see some real interesting use cases for that, I think it's an overkill for a shopping list.

If you keep my workflow and my CSS solution, all that's needed to make it more user friendly is a button "Hide/Show unchecked items", to avoid dabbling with CSS. A "check/uncheck all boxes" button could be useful too.

1 Like

This is neat! I always wanted to use joplin for a shopping list but never found a good workflow for it.

After looking at your solution I found a pretty good way to avoid changing the CSS every time by using the Checkbox Hack.
It allows changing the style based on the state of checkboxes. Using the new :has() selector it is then possible to select only the first checkbox which in my case I just named "shopping mode". So if this checkbox is checked all unchecked boxes are hidden and one can go shopping.

My CSS got pretty messy, but it works! On desktop there is only the caveat that a new electron version is needed (because of the :has() selector). Luckily, the new, currently in beta, Joplin version 2.12.12 includes an electron version which supports the selector.

It also works on iOS!!! Here with the caveat that in shopping mode the text is transparent, and I cloud not find a way to change that. But that's no biggie...

Long story short:

<style>
		/*
	Prep mode
	*/
	 div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type="checkbox"]:checked
   {
	}
	div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type="checkbox"]:checked + label
   {
	}

/*
	Shopping mode
	*/
		 div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type="checkbox"]:not(:checked)
   {
	}
	div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type="checkbox"]:not(:checked) + label
   {
	}
		div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type="checkbox"]:checked
   {
	   opacity: 1.0;
		color: black;
	}
	div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type="checkbox"]:checked + label
   {
	   	font-size: 1.0em;
	   opacity: 1.0;
		color: black;
	}
</style>

- [ ] Shopping mode
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- [x] Apples
- [ ] Oranges

Finally, I can use Joplin for shopping!

EDIT:
Here is the minified version:

<style>div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type=checkbox]:checked{width:17px;height:17px}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type=checkbox]:checked+label{font-weight:700;font-size:1.1em;opacity:1}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked){display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked)+label{display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:checked{opacity:1;color:#000}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:checked+label{font-size:1em;opacity:1;color:#000}</style>

- [x] Shopping mode
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- [x] Apples
- [ ] Oranges
4 Likes

Brilliant !!!!

Works perfectly on Android too !

One last idea, I don't know if it's doable, but I ask as you seem to be rather CSS-savvy. In the example below, is it possible in shopping mode through CSS to hide a title if there is no checked items below it ? E.g., in the following example, can shopping mode also hide the whole # Dairy Products section, including the title, as no dairy product is checked ?

- [x] Shopping mode
---
# Fruits
- [ ] Apples
- [x] Oranges
---
# Dairy products
- [ ] Milk
- [ ] Cheese
---
# Drinks
- [ ] Water
- [x] Beer

That's awesome! Have adopted it.

Could you paste a complete example of such a a note/list here? I have nearly no clue of css code etc., so I like to have something to copy and modify :wink:

Just copy/paste @danielfomin96 's minified example (at the end of his post) and you're all set. Check/uncheck - [x] Shopping mode to hide/display the unchecked articles.

Note : like @danielfomin96 said, you need Joplin's beta desktop version for it to work. But it already works on the current mobile version (both iOS and Android)

thx a lot, @chentao and of course @danielfomin96!! this is really awesome! I use my shopping list on mobile (ios) only, so a delayed desktop update doesn‘t matter to me.
The transparent text leaves room for improvement left, that‘s true.
Nevertheless, really nice :star_struck:

It is possible. But I only found a solution that makes inputting new entries a little bit unintuitive.

The entries look this way:

- [ ] Shopping mode
- [ ] **Fruits**
- [x] Apples
- [ ] Oranges

`--------------------------------------------`
- [ ] **Vegetables**
- [ ] Tomato

- [ ] **Others**
- [x] Toilet Paper

The headings are now part of the checkbox lists. Just for ease of reading, the plain text can be highlighted with ** . This does not change the rendered version.
It is important to note that each checkbox list is separated using a code block, being a predefined html element that is not necessary for a shopping list. I did not want to use <hr> for this since this element is hidden in the rendered version and I like the <hr> element after the shopping mode.

With this setup (including of course the later mentioned css part) the headings are shown prominently and disappear in the shopping mode when no matching entry is checked.

The CSS looks the following way:

/*
	Prep mode
	*/
div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked))
  input[type="checkbox"]:checked {
}
div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked))
  input[type="checkbox"]:checked
  + label {
}

/*
	Shopping mode
	*/
div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked)
  input[type="checkbox"]:not(:checked) {
}
  input[type="checkbox"]:not(:checked)
  + label {
}
  input[type="checkbox"]:checked {
  color: black !important;
}
  input[type="checkbox"]:checked
  + label {
  font-size: 1em;
  color: black !important;
}

/*
	List Headings
	*/
ul:not(:first-of-type) li:first-of-type input + label {
  font-size: 1.4em;
  display: inline !important;
  pointer-events: none;
}
ul:not(:first-of-type) li:first-of-type input {
}

/*
	Hide Headings
	*/
div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) ul {
}
  ul:has(.joplin-checkbox input:checked) {
  display: block;
}

/*
	Hide separator element
	*/
code {
}

The heading must be checkboxes so that they can be part of the list (<ul>), which then can be referenced to hide it if no checkboxes are checked.
This also why we need the separator elements (currently code blocks) so that we can separate the lists from each other. Otherwise, everything would be in a single list.

Here is the full and minimised version which can be copied over:

<style>div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type=checkbox]:checked{width:17px;height:17px}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:not(:checked)) input[type=checkbox]:checked+label{font-weight:700;font-size:1.1em;opacity:1}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked){display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:not(:checked)+label{display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:checked{color:#000!important;opacity:1}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) input[type=checkbox]:checked+label{font-size:1em;color:#000!important;opacity:1;font-weight:700}ul:not(:first-of-type) li:first-of-type input+label{font-weight:700;font-size:1.4em;opacity:1;display:inline!important;pointer-events:none}code,ul:not(:first-of-type) li:first-of-type input{display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) ul{display:none}div:has(ul:first-of-type .joplin-checkbox:first-child input:checked) ul:has(.joplin-checkbox input:checked){display:block}</style>

- [ ] Shopping mode
- [ ] **Fruits**
- [x] Apples
- [ ] Oranges

- [ ] **Vegetables**
- [ ] Tomato

- [ ] **Others**
- [x] Toilet Paper

P.S. I still could not find a way to make all text non-transparent on iOS...

1 Like