Installing Joplin - third (out of four) columns - what is it?

Operating system

Windows

Joplin version

Desktop version info

Joplin 2.13.15 (prod, win32)

Client ID: 3a1bb7cf06e74fcebac9c1c256b8a3c9
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 44
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: 7d2c1c0

What issue do you have?

I have just installed Joplin - I am brand new. I am transferring files from Evernote. I have exported from EN and am importing to Joplin. What is that in the third column (see screenshot), how did I get it and what do I do about it?

Screenshots

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you've imported your notes from Evernote using HTML as a format (instead of Joplin's native Markdown). In the third column there is 'raw' HTML, in the fourth rendered HTML. Try using the 'toggle editor' icon in the upper right corner of the screen (second row) in order to get rid of the third column.

OK - I just found a site where it talked about toggle on and off and I found that under view. So I got rid of that column. Clearly I need to read a "how to" book on using Joplin. But I will ask here, is there some reason that I need that column? I am just using this for to-do lists, records etc.

Thanks - that toggle button is easier than what I found (see my reply.) Does it make more sense to use Markdown? What does that do for me?

Well, not really. Markdown has this distinction as well (raw and rendered in columns three and four), but is much easier to write than HTML. You can also use the menu buttons to produce checklists and so on. I actually like the 'centered' view of the third column (roughly in the middle of the screen) to do my editing.

Others don't like these columns and switch to 'the best of both worlds', i.e. Rich Markdown Editor (available as a plugin). This gives you the WYSIWYG feeling Evernote users are accustomed to. I personally don't use it because I found it quite easy to switch from Evernote's rich text editor to Joplin's Markdown.

It's much more of a universal standard than rich text for example. Many Joplin plugins require Markdown notes to work properly, and many other programs can easily process Markdown files (Pandoc as a file converter comes to my mind here).

I've never imported from EN, but importing as MD might lose some of the formatting. On the up side, maybe it wasn't all needed. And if not, MD is much easier to read and edit than html.

If your EN notes are for purely read only, then it may not matter. But all your new notes will be MD (under the hood even if you use the rich text editor) unless you type html manually.

Thank you for your comments. I am not advanced enough to be doing the kind of editing one does in that third column. So I won't be using it. I had stopped importing my files to ask this question in case I was doing something wrong. I will continue now (using Markdown and not HTML) and just "toggle" that third column off. Thanks again for such speedy help! R

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.