I have a functioning Joplin on my Windows 11 desktop. I just got a 2021 MacBook Pro. I want to connect it to the same Joplin, but when I hit Authorise, it takes me to Reset your password, and I don't get any email to do that. As if I don't have an account (I just set one up to post this). So how am I on Joplin on my desktop without an account? Or is it connected to some other account? I've had it working on another Windows laptop and it synced fine.
What happens if you try and log directly into your Dropbox account? See if it asks you for two-factor authentication or a password reset or something of that nature.
Right now you have a working Windows machine and a non-working Mac.
If the browser that you're using on the Mac is Safari, I would recommend loading Google Chrome (or whatever the default browser is that you use on Windows) and seeing if changing the browser gives you better results. When you set up Joplin as a synchronization to Dropbox, it should simply ask you for your password and nothing else. That's why I'm wondering if it's a browser issue on your Mac.
Correct. I just tried doing it through Chrome and it didn't make a difference.
Another way to phrase my problem: I forgot my password, but I don't receive any password reset email.
When you are in Joplin and select Dropbox as your sync target, you then need to authenticate to Dropbox. That pops open a window where you can enter your user ID and password and that's not what you're getting. You're getting a reset password, or do you actually get to the point where you can type in your user ID and then it asks you to reset your password?
My next suggestion would be to, in your default browser (the one that Joplin is going to open when you need to authenticate to Dropbox), have a browser tab open to Dropbox already so that the browser is already logged in to Dropbox. When you click Synchronize in Joplin and it pops open the box to authenticate, maybe, hopefully, it will just say okay rather than prompting you for a user ID and password (because you will technically have already been logged in to Dropbox).
I'm not sure exactly what "selecting Dropbox as my sync target" means, but on my new Mac, I click Synchronize and am taken to a window saying "To allow Joplin to synchronize with Joplin Cloud, please login using this URL" - which takes me to the Joplin website to log in. Then I click Forgot Password, and just don't get a reset email.
I tried your suggestion of having Dropbox open in the browser. Nice trick, but Joplin wasn't impressed. I wonder if I'm missing the selecting Dropbox as my sync target part.
I doubt it matters, but I have the free version of Joplin.
When I click "Synchronize" at the main menu, it pops up this box and wants me to, in a separate browser, go to this address, get a response, and then put that response in the box.
You might just not have your synchronization target set to Dropbox.
There we go. We're all synced now! I guess I could've just read the synchronizing tutorial, but it threw me that I seemed to be in the right place but it was a dead end (which made it look like there was a malfunction with the password reset). Thanks so much for your help!