How to change to PLAIN TEXT? Get rid of rich text & markdown

I'm a recent Simplenote convert and I have some linux CLI stuff stored in notes. I just ran across this one and this is going to be a big problem for me.

The problem with this

This is a problem on iOS mobile too

How do I remove all text formatting and just see/edit plain text everywhere? Do not want markdown...

I found this post but I think that's just going to change the editor on windows? What about mobile?

Worse if I select this text and tell it to convert it to inline code the stars stay gone. I did find that if I use the toggle external editing button the original note is there and correct with the stars, but I need to see that in the joplin app. Editor is WYSIWYG. When I switch to markdown I get this two panel layout which is a complete waste of space, worse the problem above doesn't get fixed.

Win10 22H2
Joplin 2.11.11 (prod, win32)
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 43
Keychain Supported: Yes
Revision: 6886f6f

Well this is disappointing.

You can switch to markdown editor and then turn off the right panel leaving only th editor. I think this as close as you can get to plain text on desktop.

I guess you could also remove all syntax highlighting from the editor using custom CSS, if that's a problem

1 Like

Another potential (i.e. use at your own risk) solution is a plugin I made to allow you to create HTML notes - Release v0.2.0 · Daeraxa/joplin-plugin-toggle-markup · GitHub

It adds two new commands toggleMarkupLanguageType and newNoteHtml that allow you to convert to/from and create a new HTML note respectively. The special thing about the HTML note type is that it doesn't get converted and markdown isn't rendered. I think there technically is a third type of "plain text" type but I've never been near it and don't really see a need to use it but I guess technically the plugin could also be used to access that one if modified.

I keep meaning to get around to actually publishing it, just been a bit hesitant because 1) I don't actually use it, I made it more as a proof of concept so hasn't been thoroughly tested and 2) I have no idea if it might break something as this clearly isn't default intended Joplin functionality but if you want to try it you can download the .jpl and install it manually.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. I was really hoping I had overlooked a setting somewhere where I could turn the rich text layer off somehow, because as we all know it's just plain text under the hood. I'll give these a try when I get back into the office. Joplin nails a lot of the rest of what I want, it's worth some effort.

Doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

Joplin could really use this setting;

notetype

1 Like

Not sure where this screenshot is from but I don't feel it makes much sense to have a "note type". Why would you need this when you can have all this content together in the same note? I wouldn't want to change the type every time I want to add a checklist, a table or some code block. In Joplin (and most other note-taking apps) you can have all this in a regular note.

I was referring to plain text, where you can turn all that fancy stuff off.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.