How do I Switch Sync From Dropbox to Nextcloud

I'm currently using Dropbox as my sync target but I want to know how do I switch to next cloud without erasing all my data for syncing?

If there is already a topic for this question please link to it in the comments below.

Thank you in advance.

Following this guide in the FAQ is probably the best place to start if you want to avoid re-syncing all the data and making sure everything is safe - FAQ | Joplin
On step 5 you would be changing your entire sync target rather than just a WebDAV URL

The reason you might want to avoid doing a full re-sync from the client data is because NextCloud is hilariously slow at syncing. Its OK for day to day use but its a real pain to migrate and upload/download all of it (I know because I did it)

But the best advice to be honest is just to take backups of both your sync target and your local config + a notes export (i.e. your profile with the database as well as a JEX export) - you can never be too safe!
So long as you have a copy of your Dropbox data and your local backups you can be pretty safe that nothing you can do will break anything permanently- the simple backup plugin can help with this too.

A more risky, put plausible approach, would be to change the sync target and press "Re-upload local data to sync target" before confirming the option change then restart Joplin and it should push everything to the new target. I'm not 100% sure if that works and its a bit of a janky hack to do it that way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.