New sync target file issue

I used to sync my Joplin notes against a dropbox account but since a few weeks I ran into a quota limit, so I decided to see this as an opportunity to set up my own Nextcloud.
In the mean time I still continued to use Joplin and ignored the sync errors.

Now I want to switch to nextcloud and read the instructions at https://joplinapp.org/faq/

1. On your WebDAV service, copy all the Joplin files from the old location to the new one. Make sure to also copy the .resource directory as it contains your images and other attachments.

Not sure what is "all Joplin files" and where to find them on my local machine. Could you please advise?

I also read some forum posts about Nextcloud sync issues and think others might have copied the files from dropbox to webdav to have an inital data set. But my dropbox and my local Joplin are very out of sync now and I don't want to move multiple GB over the network if I can do it locally. Any advise here?

Thank you and best regards

• The version you are using.:
    Joplin 2.1.8 (prod, win32)

Client-ID: 0836c8e7b6224f2996d09207cee47b1e
Sync-Version: 2
Profil-Version: 39
Unterstützter Schlüsselbund: Ja

Revision: 94ea177b7

• The operating system you are using.
    Win10

Joplin data are stored locally at C:\Users[YOUR USERNAME].config\joplin-desktop assuming C: is your system disk.

Since the local files are not a sync target, they cannot simply copied to a sync target!

I think the easiest way is:

1. Create a JEX Backup (File > Export all > JEX)
  2. Change the sync target
  3. Use the Re-upload local data to synctarget under the syncronisation advanced section

Yes, I'm very familiar with this folder, but not as the file structure on my dropbox is very different I was confused.

@JackGruber
Thank you for this reply. I think I might go this way.

What about my andoird client. How can I make sure to get the updated data from my webdav instead of syncing back the old status when changing the sync target?

Not tested, but should work something like this.

1. Create a JEX Backup ( File > Export all > JEX )
  2. Close Joplin
  3. Rename your Joplin profile to joplin-desktop-org
  4. Start joplin (a empty profile is created)
  5. Close Joplin
  6. On your Android Configuration > EXPORT Profile
  7. Copy the files to your PC in the empty Joplin profile and replace all files
  8. Rename the mobil.sqlite to database.sqlite
  9. Start Joplin
  10. Export all Notes as JEX ( File > Export all > JEX ), this export should now include your mobile notes
  11. Close Joplin
  12. Rename your joplin profile to joplin-desktop-mobile
  13. Rename your joplin-desktop-org to joplin-desktop
  14. Start Joplin
  15. Import your mobile JEX export
  16. Than delete all your data on Joplin mobile in the Android app settings
  17. Configure Joplin to sync to your Synctarget

Thank you for this extensive list and your tipps.

I decided to just resync from my Android device, without deleting existing profile or content. It seems to work fine, no errors and both contents in snyc now. :slight_smile:

Anyway, a "delete all and reload content from sync target"-button would be a valuable addition to the mobile client.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.