Hotfolder Plugin

Thank you very much!

WARNING

this plugin deleted all my files in the hotfolder, the specified import ones, but also all other.!
What a mess !!

Kai

2 Likes

I don't know how you set this, but there is no option for it.
Every file except the ignored ones will be imported to Joplin and then deleted.

1 Like

Hi Jack,

thanks for ultrafast reply.

Fact is, there's no hint, that files will be deleted as all !
No warnings at all.

At least, if deletion is - for some reason - nessassary, You should put a hint or a message like
"Your really want..." before this horrible action takes place.

@kai452, the concept is that the hot-folder specified is used solely as a dropbox for Joplin. So when you drop your files there they will be picked up by Joplin. As soon as that's done the desired behaviour is that the files should be cleaned up.

Your files aren't lost; if you look in Joplin each one will have been attached to a note. You can open them there and save them to some place other than the hot-folder.

Or, if you prefer, you can specify a different hot-folder in the Plugin Settings for hot-folder and then save your files back to that original location to use your original folder as you did before.

3 Likes

Exactly.

And if the default behavior was different from this, the hot folder would quickly become a hot mess.

@johano, many thanks for Your explanations.
That view on the matter must have been clearly declared, otherwise how should one know, if not by fault ?
In my case, it saved the none txt, md, i.e. xhtml as link to that (afterwards deleted) file...

First I put in this -

.txt, .md, .*

but because I was in doubt, BEFORE clicking OK, I removed .

My guess: the variable had not been cleared by click on Cancel.
Again: There must be a certain warning before deletion, thats common behavior.

1 Like

@kai452, I see your point. Perhaps @JackGruber might consider adding to the Hotfolder Path setting, something like:

Hotfolder Path (files in here deleted after processing)

or some indication to that effect.

@johano, Perfect ! I like the way, You take care.
By the way, have You testet what value the vari returned after change - back - cancel ?

@FamRau in the Joplin Version 1.8.1 is the problem with the scaled images fixed.

1 Like

Love the plugin, thanks @JackGruber!

Would an interest be best to extend the Hotfolder plugin with an option that allows to import documents but leave the file in the orginal location and update the note or resurce on a change of the file?

1 Like

From my point of view it would be very interesting. However, it would be necessary to keep the structure of the file (recursive import) :thinking:

v0.4.0 (2021-05-06)

• Add: Wildcard and RegExp match for Ignore Files
  • Add: .* (Dot files) as default for Ignore Files
  • Optimize: Set note title without file extension #6
3 Likes

Thanks for a great plugin Jack. It is a missing link that enables me to move my GTD workflow to Joplin. Awesome! :slight_smile:

Hi @JackGruber

Do you think it is possible/desirable/timely to add a new feature to this plugin. Not to import files from a given folder into Joplin as a note but as a "resource"?

@bepolymathe only as a resource, and then?
Depending on the settings, resources are already created.

Yes, maybe I'm not clear. In fact, I'm wondering about integrating the PDFs of the articles I read as permanent resources that I could quote without having to drag and drop them from a folder (which also doubles the disk space). I could then quote them and integrate them in my notes and find them on my different machines...
I think your plugin is not necessarily made for that... but I was wondering.

What do you mean by that?

Either I'm completely lost (I am not that fit right now) or the function is already there?

PDFs or any other file (Extension not added into add as text) is than uploaded as a resource and a link is insert into a new note.

I import any scaned PDF (Letters, invoices,...) with the hofolder into Joplin.

1 Like