Feature request: Inline PDF

You can already do that by clicking a link to pdf file

The reason I wrote this (later discovered what you’re saying) is that most of my attachments aren’t working in the Android app. It’s set to auto download but that isn’t happening, even when I click on the link. {off to the bugs section with me}

a big + 1 from me too… Looove to see Joplin handling PDFs inline

1 Like

You can already do that by clicking a link to pdf file

that's not what this thread is about. inline and clicking a PDF isn't the same thing

This is essential for me as well. I save all of my plots as PDFs and need to be able to view them in notes. I can’t use Joplin as a lab notebook otherwise. (Would be totally fine to have in-line pdf display only on Desktop and not on mobile.)

1 Like

This would be nice, my work arround is a script createn a preview from the first PDF site as picture and add it to the note.

2 Likes

+1 This would seriously rock! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I can't replace Evernote without inline PDF support, and the primary reason I've been checking in with Joplin for the past 2-3 years is to replace Evernote.

So happy to wee the WYSIWYG editor over the past year as well as the ability to resize inline images. PDF is one of the last hurdles for my own document conversion.

3 Likes

why would this keep you from using it ?

I can't wrap my head around this use case. Are you saying you wish to treat a PDF like an image in a document?

I save all my graphs and figures as pdf vector files. I'd love to be using Joplin as a lab notebook for research, but I can't make the switch until I can insert inline PDF images (which are also what I use in latex documents). I'm attaching a screenshot of a note and the figure PDF. I don't need multipage PDF documents to show up as images, only these figures.

heatmapFeature_3-rMoney.pdf (48.3 KB)

1 Like

Interesting. I forget that PDF is a vector format. I usually use svg for all vector images. Anyway. Thanks for your clarification.

1 Like

(I used to use svg, but found that using pdf saved me from a bunch of downstream compatibility issues with things like Overleaf, etc. The only downside I've noticed is this markdown inline issue)

2 Likes

+1 hopefully it is ready before my Evernote subscription ends next year 2021. Looking to migrate from Evernote to Joplin.

1 Like

Inline PDFs is one of my primary use cases for Evernote, and I would really like to be able to stop using Evernote.

However:

• I have Evernote notes with multiple attachments (for example, a list of products, each with its own PDF tearsheet); granted, in this case I generally hide inline PDFs to economize space.
  • I frequently include freeform (ie unstructured) commentary above a PDF (such as bibliographic data for an academic paper). (Yes, I know there are better solutions for this.)
  • My main use case that matches @Mirthe's is probably bills, invoices, and receipts that I dump in Evernote just in case I might need them later (and also because I distrust file systems).

This being said, though, the more important thing for me is probably being able to search the contents of attachments alongside the contents of notes. Would the following be feasible alongside or independent from inline PDFs?

Given:

• A Joplin instance syncs via Nextcloud
  • The Nextcloud instance has full-text search set up (ideally with PDF support set up as as well)

Then:

• Joplin search will use Nextcloud search to search the contents of Joplin attachments

I can create a separate thread for search within attachments if y'all think that would be helpful.

(For what it's worth, I will probably finish migrating from Evernote regardless.)

1 Like

I think the ability to search attachment contents would be great but wouldn't this method only allow this feature to a sub-set of Joplin users, namely, those using a suitably configured Nextcloud server and not using E2EE? I only mention it as I am sure that there would be many other users out there who do not use Nextcloud or do use E2EE that would really like this feature.

I suppose that the idea of linking a function just to Nextcloud is not unprecedented (note sharing). But for something as useful as this I would suggest that an in-client method, however that would be implemented, would be an approach that benefits all users.

1 Like

Took a stab at this but it seems the support for embedding pdf is only available starting from Electron version 9. Joplin is on 8 at the moment and it seems Laurent is reluctant to upgrade.

1 Like

To be honest, it’s normal not to be willing to upgrade. God knows what is wrong with the new version of electron.

I missed that post but just to clarify if you can add PDF preview support we can upgrade to Electron 9. We'll probably upgrade at some point anyway.

2 Likes

There you go: https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/pull/4008

4 Likes