Email Plugin Release 1.0.0 is now Available πŸš€πŸš€

Greetings to all

I Published 6 days ago (npm), the Email Plugin and now you can install it in Joplin by going to:
Tools > Options > Plugins
Search for Email Plugin
Click Install plugin
Restart Joplin to enable the plugin

This link shows the plugin features and how to use them (link).

If there is any issue or any suggestion, do not hesitate to tell me.

Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Does this plugin work with gmail accounts?

I wanted to add that this prompt is not very clear for the uninitiated:

What's an original password? What's an app password? Which app etc?

Screenshot from 2022-09-13 22-37-56

For Gmail see Sign in using app passwords - Gmail Help

1 Like

let us get the app well stored on GitHub.
You can raise an issue on this over there than :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @bishoy , for creating this plugin. :smiley:
Seems to work great, after figuring out how to get the "app password" after realizing that Gmail does not allow imap access with account password anymore.

One feature request: Option to set the plugin to delete the original email after import.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

You’re welcome :grinning:.

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion after using the plugin.

Delete email messages after they've been fetched as an optional feature sounds like a great idea :thinking:.

I will work on this feature and will add it soon.

2 Likes

Hi @bishoy

Thanks for this plugin. A suggestion. It is convenient to integrate todo in the mail at the time of transfer. Currently if I add a todo in this format in 2 or 3rd line...

- [ ] Test todo +tag (very useful with inline todo/bundle plugin)

... it is converted into markdown with / instead of spaces. Would it be possible to preserve the plain text in this case?

\- \[ \] Test +tag

1 Like

Hi @bepolymathe

Thanks for your suggestion :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :handshake:.

This output is not from the plugin, it is from Joplin render

See this link to show why backslashes

You can also notice this effect when using a web clipper.

But I have a solution, but I don't know if it is the best or not, It is after posting the note in Joplin that I amend it by erasing the backslash that comes before any special character like [ ] $ -using regex :thinking: :thinking:

Hi @bishoy,

you did a great job with the email plugin, this is what I'm looking for.

I have a question, is there a way to decrypt emails with GnuPg?

I want to add encrypted emails as well, currently the email will be added ad empty email with attachments.

Thank you in advance

1 Like

you're welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So far, the plugin doesn't support decrypting email messages that are encrypted by GnuPG.

TBH, at first, I didn't know what GnuPG was, but after some research, I found it's a powerful file encryption tool, but I don't know how to use it to encrypt messages.

Do you mean OpenPGP which is provided by Thunderbird?

Thanks.

Hi @bishoy thank you for your reply,

yes this is exactly what I meant :slight_smile: I do use GnuPG on windows (https://gpg4win.de/) as well as integrated in Thunderbird and as Browser plugin Mailvelope (backend is GnuPG).

I am fine with it, I will find a way around it for now.

I use an encrypted mailbox to secure my mails.

Thank you

1 Like

HI @makaanneo :grinning: :heart:

Okay, I will try to use these tools as soon as possible because I'm not familiar with them to figure out how to add this feature to the plugin.

You can download email messages by clicking on more > view resource and then putting the email content in the filename.eml (in Thunderbird). If you use Gmail, just click inside the email message "download message" and then open the plugin and click on the "Convert Saved Messages" button and upload the array of email messages you want to convert.

Thanks for your cooperation. :heart:

Found in use, if there is a lot of notes, always prompt loading when landing
Snipaste_2023-02-27_19-39-44

@bishoy I just wanted to thank you for this plug-in! It is working beautifully and provides one of the final missing features that I needed to Joplin, coming from Evernote several years ago.

Bravo on a great job with this and also thank you for documenting it well, which made installation and configuration very easy.

1 Like

@bishoy, interesting .... but there is one thing I do not understand, and I 'd rather be sure before I add the plugin to my Joplin profile and test it.
I cannot imagine anybody would want to load all of his/ her emails into Joplin, such would get quickly beyond bounds and control So let's say I received one email (among many) in Thunderbird (or wherever), and I wanted this email (and no other emails) in Joplin - could the plugin do this ?

1 Like

Does this issue occur when logging in?
The plugin does not fetch new emails after login automatically; you should first set the field from or mailbox.

@NorcalScott Thank you very much for your kind words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, and also for sharing your opinion on the plugin after using it :heart:.

1 Like

The plugin will not fetch all email; it will fetch all new or unseen emails from a specific sender, mailbox, or both based on your preferences.
What if emails aren't new anymore? Mark it as unseen in your email provider.

Yes, You can download email messages from your email provider in eml format and upload them to the plugin without having to log in or login, and then set the from field with the value of a specific sender email to fetch all new emails.

I hope my answer is clear, and for more plugin features, read this features

Yes, the problem occurred during login