Drawing with a pen

One of Joplin's 6 accepted summer of code proposals involves adding drawing support (apparently I can't yet add links to my posts).

The beta editor buggy and often frustrating. Users with styluses and touchscreens are unable to easily input hand-drawn images and diagrams. I propose fixing the most severe bugs in the beta editor, adding a touch-friendly toolbar, and adding an image editor to the mobile app.

Good luck personalizedrefriger we're all looking forward to seeing what you come up with :grinning:

1 Like

+1 from me too. I'm just looking for a note app and first came across the Notion, which is out of the question for me from a privacy point of view. Then I became aware of Joplin and I think the approach is fantastic.
Unfortunately, I found out that you can't create handwritten notes/drawings in Joplin. And I think that's a great pity, because in college I used OneNote on the Microsoft Surface to take my notes and it allowed me to do without pen and paper a lot and it was very convenient.
As mentioned here, this would be a real killer feature if you could mix handwritten notes/drawings and other elements, such as images or bulleted lists, regardless of device.

1 Like

I wonder if you could simply use a 3rd party SVG editor for iPad or Surface and then embed it into Joplin

2 Likes

There is a software called SVGDeveloper on the win side, which can be used as a reference for embedded tools

Here's a demo of the (very much work-in-progress) image editor (ignore the note about local debugging — I'm publishing an HTML page I've been using for local debugging):

https://personalizedrefrigerator.github.io/personalSite/demos/svg_editor_v1/editor.html

Feedback/feature requests are welcome!

3 Likes

Very good, maybe this online tool https://editor.method.ac/ can be used as a reference

1 Like

this : GitHub - marc0l92/joplin-plugin-drawio

2 Likes

I have very fast and easy solution.
introducing Butterfly.
WAY faster and lighter than drawio.

5 Likes

Hi. I would also be interested in this feature.
Yes, taking notes with a keyboard may be faster, BUT when we take notes by hand, we can better memorize what we are writing and also connect the written information with other already existing knowledge in our brain!

If money would be an issue, could be organize a crowd funding?
Based on this forum and the amount of requests, I assume a lot of money could be raised to get this feature.

fyi Plugin: js-draw integration

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the information.
I just tried that. Its not working for handwritten notes.
If I enter text, the text will be shown.
If I write something with a pen, the writing disappears once I stop writing.
Any suggestions?

1 Like

What device are you using to draw/write? Does it disappear if you input with a mouse/touchscreen? What if you restart the app and try again?

Does this also happen in the web version of the image editor?

I am using a Surface Pro 3.
When I use a mouse, it works.
Using the pen is not working.

In the web version both works, mouse and pen.
Restarting the app did not help.

Are you opening the image editor by clicking a button with a stylus/pen? Does it work if you open the editor with a touchscreen/mouse?

True Story: I installed all pending windows updates and rebooted the machine - its working now.
This is a good solution for now, but I am still looking forward to a Joplin made solution which can compete with OneNote.

Thanks for the support.

1 Like

I'm glad it's working!

Some aspects of the plugin should get better over the next few days (i.e. fixed/better stroke thickness). If you have other feature requests/bug reports, please let me know!

Keep in mind that Plugin: draw.io and Plugin: support Excalidraw in joplin also add support for drawing with a pen.

5 Likes

CoCalc Whiteboard

Just an FYI: The open-source online platform CoCalc has implemented a Computational Whiteboard that works in the browser. They have done a lot of thinking about how to do this in terms of storing the vector information, pen input, etc.

This got me thinking about being able to Draw figures in the editor as well as annotating.

Note: The CoCalc team is very responsive and would likely be very willing to chat and share ideas. (I don't yet understand exactly what they have done under the hood, but part of their design allows for keeping a history.)

The CoCalc Markdown editor looks very similar to Joplin with the added feature of being able to include executable code. It would be very cool if both evolved similarly so one could use Joplin as a local version. (I am very new to Joplin, so perhaps this is discussed elsewhere.)

Update: I just tried the js-draw plugin on my Mac, and it gets pretty close to what want. Sorry for bumping: I did not realize this was implemented a year ago!

2 Likes

Nice, there have been updates regarding stylus support on Android: github dot com/laurent22/joplin/issues/582#issuecomment-1727290244

There is a pre-release that works perfectly already... I hope, there will be a finally be an official release, because this feature is awesome.

1 Like

Welcome, @justonemorejoplinfan .
I assume you can't post links because you're new here; and I can't edit your post :smiley:
So for the convenience of everyone else, here is the same link, but clickable:

Thanks for digging it up!

4 Likes