Drag and Drop behaviour

Hello,

1. Can I change the standard behaviour of drag’n’drop?
    Standard seems to be “move the document”, is it possible to change it in “copy the document”?
    When I forget to hold the CTRL key during dragging and dropping from Outlook, the e-mail I will add to Jolplin will be deleted (move to trash) in Outlook.

2. There seems to be a different behaviour when I drag’n’drop files from the files system, these files will not be deleted (trash can), I need not to use the CTRL key for “copy”.
    I think the behavior should be the same, using Outlook or the files for dragging and dropping.

Marvin

1 Like

Hello,

is it possible to change the drag'n'drop behaviour for adding e-mails to Jopplin?

Marvin

Hello,

I'm using Version 1.1.4. It seems that dragging and droppping e-mails from Outlook 2016 (Win 10 Pro) always deletes the mails in Outlook. After adding the mails to Jopplin, the mails are always moved to trash in Outlook.

Marvin

1 Like

+1 for me. anyone have a workaround for this?

sorry, forgot to add: Win10 Pro, Outlook for Office365 (16.0.132......), 32-bit, Jolin 1.2.4.

Same problem here with Win 10, Outlook 2016 and Joplin pre relase 1.2.4 .

this must not be an issue for most unfortunately.

Random advice (ie. not tested) : if you press Ctrl when dropping, does it do the same thing?

Because it has this behavior in most D'n'D operations: simple drag moves, Ctrl+drag copies.

@PhiLho There is no difference in my case. It's always the same behaviour on my system.
In some earlier verisons you needed to press CTRL to copy the e-mail to Joplin.
But in the actual stable version 1.1.4 the e-mail will always be moved to trash when I drag'n'drop an e-mail to Joplin.

1 Like

Tried that, Ctrl doesn't seem to have any effect for me.

1 Like

same here, what needs to be done?
Is this a bug, which needs to be reported?

Is this not an issue with the email client rather than Joplin?

For instance my email client (not Outlook) will not even drop a message into a Joplin note and just copies across the simple header as text.

I have also just tried to drag / drop an email using Thunderbird (without using ctrl). Thunderbird drops an eml file into the Joplin note and leaves the message in the client alone, which is what those who have posted here want Outlook to do.

This variety of outcomes suggests that what happens is due to how the email client interprets the action rather than Joplin.

crap, was hoping that wasn't the case. i'm assuming there's no real work-around then?

That wasn't a statement of fact, just an observation ! :slight_smile:

I just thought about it and that it is the email client undertaking the drag / drop action, not Joplin. I then saw that different email clients behave differently so wondered if it was not more likely that the email client was at fault.

Hi,

it worked before in version 1.0.xxx. Holding the CTRL during drag'n'drop, copied the e-mail from Outlook to Joplin. Without holding the CTRL key the e-mail was "moved", added to Joplind and moved to trash in Outlook.
Now the e-mail will always moved to trash in Outlook, no difference if I press the key or not.
At the moment I can't test the 1.3.xx version to see if there has something changed.
Marvin

Hi, just did some short trials. It seems to depend on the format of the email...
A text and maybe also html mail just creates an entry with some header information from the E-Mail inside an existing note and original E-Mail is kept.
If I do the same with an E-Mail in the .msg Format. The email is deleted from Outlook and a file attachment is created in an existing note.
If I try to create a new note by drag and drop into an existing folder the E-Mail is deleted from Outlook but ends nowhere in Joplin...
If I do the same with Windows Explorer all works as expected...
Hope this observation helps...
LG JP

@JPa: If you use copy and paste, only the header of the mail is copied and added to Joplin.

yes agree, same here...

Hello,

There was a change of the editor from version 1.0 to 1.1 ( Ace Editor to CodeMirror).
Can this cause the issue with drag'n'drop? Because in earlier versions the behaviour was different, refer to the first post in this conversation.

I use drag'n'drop from Outlook a lot and at the moment it isn't very comfortable when every mail is deleted (moved to trash).

Marvin

I made a rough test with WYSIWYG editor. If a mail is added to Joplin via drag'n'drop in the WYSIWYG editor, the mail is not deleted in Outlook, independently if i use th CTRL key or not.

Could the issue, that the mails are deleted in Outlook, base on the "new" MD editor CodeMirror?

@Marvin @sttrebo @nchris @JPa
I had some free time so I took a look into this issue and it seems to be outlook specific. I can't duplicate the issue on my computer at all. I did some quick searching and found what might be a possible fix and I've made a pull request based on what I read. It would be really great if someone that is experiencing this issue could pull down my code a build Joplin locally to test if the fix actually works.