Drag and Drop behaviour

@CalebJohn Thanks for taking a look to it.
What is the difference between the AceEditor, WYSIWYG (Drag and Drop OK) and CodeMirror?

Ace editor and codemirror are both code editors (markdown included). We used to use ace editor as the markdown editor for Joplin but have recently switched to codemirror. The WYSIWYG editor is not a code editor, the formatting is hidden and it allows you to type your notes as you would want them presented (similar to MS Word).

Edit:
I re-read your question and realized I answered wrong.
Too be honest I don't know and I can't test because I don't have access to a Windows machine + outlook. My guess is that ace editor (and the WYSIWYG) editor are forcing a copy action on drop and codemirror simply leaves the drop action as none. Most programs interpret "none" as copy, but it seems that outlook treats it as a move.
Again, I can't confirm this because I don't have outlook, but it's a theory.

@CalebJohn I‘m not a coder but I can test for you if this helps you.

The build instructions are here if you think you'll be able to manage it. Otherwise I might be able to figure out how to do windows builds.

A bit out of my skill set unless someone has a cheatsheet for a windows10 system...

Thank you so much for looking into it. I have never built any system...Not sure when I can start diving into this...

I have to wait until the patch is merged to a "compiled" version. Build Joplin myself is unfortunately above my skills.

@CalebJohn any news of the integration of the patch?
At the moment, I switch to the WYSIWYG editor for drag'n'drop from outlook as a work around.

Marvin

It's been merged! Which doesn't mean much yet, but it does mean that the potential fix will be available in an upcoming pre-release. I'll try to ping this thread once it's available, but I would encourage you to check yourself as well in case I forget.

1 Like

@CalebJohn Thanks. I will give it a try with the next pre-release.

@CalebJohn I made a quick test with Version 1.4.10 portable. Unfortunately the behaviour didn't change in the Codemirror editor using drag'n'drop.
In the WYSIWYG editor the items are "copied" from Outlook to Joplin.

@Marvin thanks for letting me know, I'll take another look.

@Marvin Actually can you try pressing Ctrl while dropping or pressing the alt key? I've been doing some more testing on my system and it seems that pressing the Ctrl key while dropping should enforce a copy. It's possible that it could be the Alt key on another system. Might as well try shift as well.

@CalebJohn There seems to be no difference, I tried "no key", "CTRL", "ALT", "SHIFT" and some combinations of this. On my system it's allways the same, the messages will be deleted (moved to trash) in Outlook.

I don't if this helps you:
When I want to drag a message from the "Deleted items" from Outlook to Joplin it will be finallaly deleted from Outlook. There is no safety question If I'm sure. Deleting the message directly from the folder "Deleted Items" by hand a safety question pops up and asks me if I'm sure.

@Marvin thanks for checking that. I've got another pull request so we'll see how it goes this time. It seems that I made a mistake before by not reading the documentation close enough. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

@CalebJohn Thanks! I'll look for the next pre-release and give it a try.

1 Like

The new release is out now!

@CalebJohn I've downloaded the portable version 1.4.11 for testing.
On my system it works as we discussed.
Thanks for resolving the issue!

1 Like

Thanks for checking @Marvin, and thanks for your patience as we worked this out.

@sttrebo @nchris @JPa the fix will be in the next stable release!

1 Like

A small step for humanity, a big step for my workflow.

Thank you very much!

1 Like