Desktop pre-release v3.0 is now available (Updated 27/04/2024)

Download the latest pre-releases from here: https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/releases

v3.0.2

v3.0.3

v3.0.6

• New: Add context menu item to view OCR text of an attachment (8bdec4c)
  • New: Added search list for configuration font input fields (#10248 by @ab-elhaddad)
  • Improved: Attach log to crash dump when the application crashes (c5dfa4c)
  • Improved: Display a message when Joplin Cloud user don't have access to email to note feature (#10322 by @pedr)
  • Improved: Do not trim markdown upon saving in rich text (#10321) (#10315 by @chaNcharge)
  • Improved: Improved log formatting and allow saving last lines of log to memory (74bc9b3)
  • Improved: Refactor sidebar to better handle thousands of tags and notebooks (#10331) (#4251 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Improved: Support URLs in plugin API imaging.createFromPath (#10334)
  • Improved: Ubuntu 24.04: Work around unprivileged user namespace restrictions by adding the --no-sandbox flag to the launcher (#10338) (#10332 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Improved: Updated packages @adobe/css-tools (v4.3.3)
  • Fixed: After deleting the last note from the conflicts folder, the application state is invalid (#10189)
  • Fixed: Display correct sorting icon (#10283)
  • Fixed: Do not invite user to create new notes in the trash folder (#10356) (#10191 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fix "new notebook" shown in context menu when right-clicking on the "Tags" header (#10378 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fix note disappears while editing (#10370) (#10194 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fixed error when processing certain PDF files for OCR (#10056)
  • Fixed: Linux: Allow passing --enable-wayland-ime flag to fix input method issues on startup (#10349) (#10345 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Old.reddit pages are not saved correctly as HTML by the Web Clipper (#10274)
  • Fixed: Search results from API change when fields param is used (#10088)
  • Fixed: When web clipper clipping code blocks, keep code in multiline and delete code number lines (#10126) (#5626 by @wljince007)
11 Likes

Just installed version 3.0.2 on a M1 MacBookAir running Sonoma 14.4 and Joplin will only present a blank white screen. Eventually I get a error dialog offering to restart in safe-mode. Safe-mode launches as expected...

Update: I disabled the MacOS Theme and the app opened as expected.

1 Like

Hello there,
Thank you very much for the new release.
I noticed one problem with a plugin: Markdown Table: Colorize that does not colorize any more once the beta editor is activated. As soon as the activation is removed, it works again.
As one of the new/imporved features is beta editor improvments, I just wanted you to know.
Kind regards,
Hans-Joerg

1 Like

Thanks!.

Support for multiple column note list and the trash folder are two great new features!.

1 Like

I've opened a related pull request on the joplin-plugin-markdown-table-colorize repository:

2 Likes

Joplin 3.0.2 Desktop (Windows 10 & Linux Mint) - Cannot Undo a Sub-Notenook

In previous Joplin versions a sub-notebook could be returned to the notebook root by dragging and dropping the sub-notebook onto the "NOTEBOOKS" header. With Joplin 3.0.2 this results in an error message "No such folder:". I have yet to find a way to return a sub-notebook to the notebook root.

This is indeed a known issue which I think has been fixed now

2 Likes

Apologies for that. Poor searching of GitHub by me!

Thanks!

The trash feature took me by surprise as I thought there were huge hurdles to implementing one. Much appreciated. Out of interest, is there a layman's way to explain how it's coded (e.g. every note now has a "trash" switch in its metadata)?

Yes it's metadata that's added to each note and notebook, a property called deleted_time (0 when it's not been deleted). Of all the different approaches that we tried this was the more manageable in terms of complexity, although it still wasn't that easy.

4 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Performance issue

v3.0.3

5 Likes

v3.0.6

• New: Add context menu item to view OCR text of an attachment (8bdec4c)
  • New: Added search list for configuration font input fields (#10248 by @ab-elhaddad)
  • Improved: Attach log to crash dump when the application crashes (c5dfa4c)
  • Improved: Display a message when Joplin Cloud user don't have access to email to note feature (#10322 by @pedr)
  • Improved: Do not trim markdown upon saving in rich text (#10321) (#10315 by @chaNcharge)
  • Improved: Improved log formatting and allow saving last lines of log to memory (74bc9b3)
  • Improved: Refactor sidebar to better handle thousands of tags and notebooks (#10331) (#4251 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Improved: Support URLs in plugin API imaging.createFromPath (#10334)
  • Improved: Ubuntu 24.04: Work around unprivileged user namespace restrictions by adding the --no-sandbox flag to the launcher (#10338) (#10332 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Improved: Updated packages @adobe/css-tools (v4.3.3)
  • Fixed: After deleting the last note from the conflicts folder, the application state is invalid (#10189)
  • Fixed: Display correct sorting icon (#10283)
  • Fixed: Do not invite user to create new notes in the trash folder (#10356) (#10191 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fix "new notebook" shown in context menu when right-clicking on the "Tags" header (#10378 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fix note disappears while editing (#10370) (#10194 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Fixed error when processing certain PDF files for OCR (#10056)
  • Fixed: Linux: Allow passing --enable-wayland-ime flag to fix input method issues on startup (#10349) (#10345 by @personalizedrefrigerator)
  • Fixed: Old.reddit pages are not saved correctly as HTML by the Web Clipper (#10274)
  • Fixed: Search results from API change when fields param is used (#10088)
  • Fixed: When web clipper clipping code blocks, keep code in multiline and delete code number lines (#10126) (#5626 by @wljince007)
6 Likes

For a short time after startup is see my normal list of Notebooks and than it completely disappears, I have an empty Notebook sidebar...

@personalizedrefriger

Ok I see it is because Remoods theme uses other height than 30px, is there some workaround I can do in userchrome.css maybe?

It seems that the ReMoods theme is setting the height of the note list container to 35px:

I suggest the following userchrome.css:

:root .sidebar > div:first-child > div:first-child {
	max-height: unset;
	background: unset;

& > div {
		max-height: unset;
	}
}
1 Like

That works, and I would not mind the 5px more compactness :wink:

UPDATE
I found a OCR context menu here for pdf's

Not sure where to see the OCR option for embedded png files, maybe it doesnt exist for png's?

Hi all, any idea how to use this new 3.0.6 feature? -
"New: Add context menu item to view OCR text of an attachment (8bdec4c)"

I just updated my Joplin

Joplin 3.0.6 (prod, linux)
Client ID: 7965d57c4ca34af58aebfa5c83dd20f5
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 47
Keychain Supported: No
Revision: 18b9f5c
Markdown Prettier: 0.1.0

Ubuntu 22.04.4

When I search I can see this example file has been OCR'd

But I see no OCR option in the context menu?

From your screenshot

Yes, I subsequently found that context menu for pdfs, as my screengrab shows.
However my question re png files remain, namely -
"Not sure where to see the OCR option for embedded png files, maybe it doesnt exist for png's?"

I'm looking to fix the hole that was, for a brief moment some years ago, filled by Mendeley for Android.

I see that Zotero now has a beta Android app, so the question is... do I get on board with that, or is there promise for Joplin to fulfill a significant portion of the functionality for small collections of literature? This would mean:

• Search within all PDFs in the database from the main app's search
    • Bonus if this will eventually be possible on Android too
  • Save/edit multiple types of PDF annotation (text boxes, highlight, underline) either within the app or by calling an external editor
  • Sync the annotations between PDFs saved to PC and mobile
  • Access/edit metadata (chapter name, author etc)
  • Perhaps add a third type of item, so Joplin would now have Notes, Todos and Attachments (for example), making each PDF article become a "thing" in its own right, rather than being contained within a note