Can't tell if sync is complete

Operating system: OSX Catalina, 10.15.2
Joplin version: Joplin 1.0.177 , revision: 6d9f73ee (head of master) – More info: Note renderer breaks for HTML


I imported about 10k notes into the desktop app from Evernote (and there are still a few more notebooks to go!). Since then, I’ve had the upload sync running for days, and it still says "Created remote items: X" where X keeps growing. I can’t tell which notebooks have successfully synced and which haven’t.


When I try to download sync to my phone, it fails and gives me this:

The result is that the notebooks on my phone are a subset of the notebooks I have on the desktop app:
(Left: phone, Right: desktop)

I tried deleting Joplin on my phone to reset and retried the sync, but I get the same issue. I also tried deleting the “How Canada’s military reacted to seeing Pokemon Go players…” note from my desktop (that’s the note that triggered the error on my phone, which you can see in the second screenshot). However, it seems that change won’t sync from my computer, because when I try the sync again on my phone I still get that error.

1 Like

Could you post the note that’s causing the issue by any chance? This error can happen if Joplin cannot unserialise an item. See here

Also it’s strange that the line number shows up as an invalid character. Maybe the app created an invalid note file to begin with, or maybe some other issue, but it’s hard to tell without seeing the file.

1 Like

Unfortunately I deleted the original note in attempt to solve the problem, but I’ve just clipped the page again and hopefully it’s ~deterministic. Here are the contents of that second file:

1 Like

Thanks, it looks like the note is cropped, which would indeed generate the above error. I’ll see if I can replicate it locally.

Just to make sure we’re looking at the same thing, heads up that GitHub’s renderer cropped it:

By the way I couldn’t replicate this bug. If I clip this note it’s complete and if I sync it it’s complete too, but in your case it seems the metadata is missing at the bottom of the file, and I don’t understand how it’s possible.

If you manage to replicate it again please let me know, including what URL was clipped.

1 Like