Back into the loving arms of Google

I’m new to Joplin but like it more each time I use it. I’m duplicating all of my OneNote stuff in Joplin, hoping to dump Microsoft.
My desktop is Linux but I’m also using Joplin in Android. If Joplin is truly open source, can we please have it available at F-Droid? At present, Joplin is sending me back into the loving arms of Google, from which I’m also trying to become divorced.

2 Likes

You can find some information here
https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/issues/434
It does not seem that simple ! :wink:
Note in the meantime, you can use APK file to avoid Google.

1 Like

Thanks, pled. Using the APK is a good idea but the link to the APK on the Joplin home page leads to a 404.

APK is available from that page

Thanks, pled, but it doesn’t work for me. What am I doing wrong?

he suggested to go here https://github.com/laurent22/joplin-android/ and jump here releases/tag/android-v1.0.174

Got it now, thanks!

You probably already know this, but if you’re trying to avoid the loving arms of Google, using Android defeats that purpose pretty much entirely.

Of course, you’re absolutely right, ardklg. But I do run Android without signing in to Google, in the (probably) vain hope that the problems attached thereto will be somewhat mitigated.
Thanks for your input!

If you want to mitigate Google taking over your life while still using Android (which is linux based and initially independent of Google), you should look for LineageOS. I've installed it on a Nexus 7 and it works perfectly. It even provided a more recent version of Android when the Nexus hasn't been updated for a long time (I think since Marshmallow). Then it's your choice to install Google Services or not. Complete this with f-droid and you're in good shape :wink:

Thanks!

If you really want to avoid Google using a Lineage based ROM but adapted and simplified to enable it to use open-source apps like those on F-droid but with its own repository. Have a look at e.foundation where the aims are described and if you’d like to participate in the development of this Google-free Android system you can download and install their system. There are currently over 60 supported phones but you have to do the installation yourself. I think it’s a worthwhile initiative to support.

1 Like