Any suggestions on what plugins could be created?

an emoji plugin would be really cool. like the one on here. if you type :sax it suggests :saxophone: in a little window.

4 Likes

Hi @kartoo This can be implemented as an on/off option.
It will be done in next version.

1 Like

How about a redline plugin? By redline, I'm referring to marking out changes between two versions of a document (this is a feature in most word processing apps, including MS Word). The really useful applicability for a syncing note app is dealing with conflicting versions of a note. I just went through this in the way I usually do - putting the two versions on of the note in side-by-side windows and scrolling through and seeing what is different. This would be so much easier if one of the versions was redlined.

Seems like this might be possible in a plugin? If so, it would be useful to be able to specify which version should be redlined.

I assume this feature would have broad applicability, unless you all have some much more efficient way of dealing with conflicting versions of notes that I haven't figured out yet. Of course I could copy/paste the notes into MS Word and redline in Word, but seems an in-app solution for what is a common problem in syncing note apps would make sense.

2 Likes

The markdown editor component that Joplin uses supports diff view, so a very basic version of this plugin would likely be fairly simple. But I don't know the actual amount of work needed to make it smooth.

1 Like

I've been going through this thread for curiosity, but the more "feature requests" I see the more it becomes clear to me that some demarcation is needed between what is a typical app feature (for further development) and what is a typical target for a future plug-in.

2 Likes

... possibly also considering whether a plugin has become so frequently used that it should be "promoted" to a core feature.

2 Likes

As a long-time user of Evernote, and recently an angry and heavily disappointed one, I've been looking around for some time for an alternative to Evernote, and it clearly seems to be Joplin. The only feature I'm sorely missing in Joplin is the "note list" option that existed in older versions of Evernote (I downgraded to a version prior to the notorious vn.10, and turned off the "update" option). The "note list" view is a powerful view that displays a compact list (one line per note), and also lets you sort on different columns, e.g. date created, last updated, size, folder location, reminder time, etc... You can also personalise which columns should appear in that view. This view is tremendously useful for when you are cleaning up and/or reorganising notes/folders/tags.

5 Likes

Is this different to the Joplin Markdown Calculations Table plugin? https://github.com/oswida/joplin-markdown-calc

I'd like plugin that implements the following: each Joplin note is actually saved to a corresponding complete ".txt" file.

E.g., if I have a Joplin note called "Chemistry notes". And assume I sync to Dropbox to backup. Then, if I opened up Dropbox, and looked in the correct folder, there should be a file called "Chemistry notes.txt" in there. And this text file should contain my entire Joplin note called "Chemistry notes".

1 Like

I think adding a note display as a mind map would be a useful feature. There is a good converter implementation: https://markmap.js.org; I think it wouldn't be difficult to create an add-on for that.

I would do it myself, but unfortunately I lack resources at the moment.

2 Likes

A plugin to get to a note by Note ID. I'm sure there are other use cases for a plugin like this, but my main use case would be to facilitate integration of Joplin into workflows involving other apps, as described more thoroughly here:

Yes, this is good plug-in but it is not the same. Graph UI displays links between notes, whereas it would be nice to display a single note as a mind map, as is done in the markmap. This would be very useful for both structured information and nested to-do lists. Just look at an example: Try Markmap.

1 Like

I understood your initial post the same way that tessus did. But if you are looking for a mindmap visualisation of a single note, this sounds technically similar to what the outline plugin does (e.g. extracting all headers and displaying them). So maybe this could be a starting point for implementation.

Or maybe @cqroot fancies creating an alternative mindmap view inside the outline plugin (which I doubt).

This looks like a great plugin. Unlike the outline, it can be implemented based on https://markmap.js.org/. It is more suitable as a brand new plugin.

2 Likes

@laurent : Zettlr allows for writing the bibtex citekey (an unique id for an entry in a bibtex database) and transforming it automatically in an inline citiation with the full entry added at the end of the text in a "Reference" section. The citation style is selected by choosing a CSL style from a list in the preferences pane.

2 Likes

I cold see the use for this if it could be a timeline for a specific set of tags.

Sorry I'm late to the discussion !

I used Drafts for about a year, but I'm finding things that don't quite 'work' for me, so notes are being transferred over to Joplin.

But there's one feature of Drafts that I'd like to see here - "virtual notebooks". Drafts calls them workspaces and they're defined through a set of tags. Each note with the correct tags becomes part of a workspace - more than one if that's the way you've defined things.

I found the feature very useful, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to replicate in Joplin.

You might find this plugin useful Notebook, Note, To-do, Tag, Search Favorites Plugin

Thanks, I'll try that !