Any suggestions on what plugins could be created?

And one more idea. :slight_smile:

As I have already written here (Promote Templates to a first class Item Type - #2 by silvio), it would be nice if you can manage the templates, just as it happens with the notes. I think this is also possible as a plugin. What do you think?

At the moment the templates are stored in the filesystem and are not synchronized without the user taking precautions. Now the idea was to include the templates in the notebooks.

I imagine that each note can be used as a template by selecting "use as template ..." with the right mouse button and after copying the special template fields are automatically filled.

Unfortunately this option is missing in the cli application.

Uff ... could be possible, but if I can achieve that ...

I just thought of one: a button to automatically delete all blank notes.

I have been using Evernote or a few years. Time for a change!

I have installed the 'combine notes' plugin for Joplin which is useful but does too much. The older version of Evernote desktop (6.25.1.9091) has a widget that I have found very useful indeed. It would be good to replicate it for Joplin but it is way beyond my competence to do so.

The widget worked with a set of selected notes - either manually selected or selected by search (e.g. a tag search) - and would then create a new post with a list of links to the selected posts - a kind of index or contents list. I have found this a very useful tool when writing stuff based on a set of posts relevant to a topic.

The widget is still available in the last version of Evernote desktop but I think it might be deprecated in the new 'improved' version.

(Joplin good so far although see my post about sync behaviour in the support forum!)

Thanks

@dlongm01 see @JackGruber's Note Overview plugin:

You can approximate Evernote's TOC with this, and the note you create is dynamic and will update.

But a static TOC similar to Evernote's (list of links to user selected notes) would be useful, and I think that could be developed as a plugin.

That would probably be risky. Maybe a plugin that automatically tags all such notes would be better, so you can review them before manually deleting them.

But why would you have so many blank notes anyway?

3 Likes

Exactly. If someone were to develop such a deletion plugin, I would suggest the name "Murphy's plugin" - what could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

And just before the code path that will accidentally delete all the user's notes, you would normally add a comment:

// can't happen
2 Likes

But why would you have so many blank notes anyway?

In my case I think they are relics from various evernote/onenote imports, as well as husks left behind from manually consolidating notes using control/cmd + X.

Auto-tagging the notes is a much better idea.

See:

1 Like

@jb261 - Thanks for the tip - that plugin seems to work pretty well ... and the documentation is useful too

A plugin that add's a theme option (i.e) custom themes, similar to VS Code, then you can select that theme from the theme menu.

On this note, I think the default dark theme needs a serious makeover with a focus on better contrast too and color choices. I know I can modify the theme and I have, but the default is arguable not that good looking.

Theme plugins would allow better user themes to prevail than the preinstalled ones

2 Likes

I'd love a timeline feature. I was looking for a markdown timeline and I found that : GitHub - azu/mdline: Markdown timeline format and toolkit.

Just a basic timeline feature could be useful.

1 Like

Make sure they're actually blank! I had some that appeared blank in the WYSIWYG display, but actually had content that was hidden by coding.

2 Likes

It would be handing for users migrating over, to have the option to temporarily disable changes to the update date.

What I mean is, to be able to instruct the program not to update any note dates -- even when the note is updated -- until that setting/plugin is turned back off.

This would allow a user to do a "mass cleanup" without disrupting the dates. For instance, I just went through and titled/retitled and tagged hundreds of notes after I imported. I wan't really changing anything of substance; it was more a matter of getting cleaned up on a new platform. Ultimately, most of the dates don't matter that much, and the few that did I could just edit back, but it would be pretty cool if one could just kind of tell it, "I'm in cleanup mode, so don't count anything I'm doing right now as an update, date-wise."

1 Like

I would love to have a card based note viewer similar to Trilium's children view (some Trilium customization snippets)

Another plugin that can be very useful is to cut and send the selection to another note. This can be neat for todo notes for instance.

2 Likes

Another plugin that can be very useful is to cut and send the selection to another note. This can be neat for todo notes for instance.

Look for the Convert Text to New Note by @ambrt in the Plugins menu, this does what you want :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately it does not fully remove the text from the original note and creates a link to the new note in the original. I can see this being an good use situtation, wishing to see an option to fully remove the text.

1 Like

You might ask @ambrt if he could add an option to not insert link to new note. Failing that, you could disable the option to switch to new note. So then you select text, convert to new note, delete the link and then manually switch to new note.

2 Likes