Any suggestions on what plugins could be created?

And on macOS pressing Fn once should bring up the emoji selector

1 Like

How about a spell-checker for the markdown editor?

Hi,

Discovered this thread too late, so... I created an Idea/request post for Tavily/GPT-Researcher integration.

Cheers

For "bookmark notes" create a plugin that automatically:

• fetches/generates a description,
  • suggests tags
  • suggests other links of interest (relevant Wikipedia pages, etc)
  • and, for icing, get a capture

These actions could be available as a command and/or selectable as default options
Could be hooked with Jarvis

Folding in markdown/CodeMirror editor. There is a buggy and seemingly abandoned plugin for this: Persistent text folding in editor

@ambrt hasn't been on this forum since Nov 2021, so probably safe to assume this plugin has been abandoned. Maybe someone can pick this up, or maybe take a different approach, since this plugin's approach to text folding seems to create numerous issues related to the left gutter.

1 Like

what do you mean by "bookmark notes"? notes created using the web clipper?

if this is the case, then like any other note they can be annotated with Jarvis, which provides your first two requests. it will also suggest other notes of interest (including other clipped notes), but not external links to webpages.

what is "a capture" in this context?

Yes indeed, I was referring to the notes created with the "Clip URL" feature of the Web Clipper.

Oh oh, Jarvis to the rescue ! That may deliver more than hoped for :slight_smile:

"Capture" for "screenshot" of the page, but this is so superfluous that it may be a waste of coding resource for the community...

Thanks for the Jarvis tip :+1:

• LanguageTool plugin
  • WebDAV calendar/to-do sidebar. I'm not a fan of the current to-do or calendar plugins, and I run a Baikal server, so it'd be nice to not switch between BetterBird (ThunderBird clone) for viewing to-dos and calendar entries.
  • Zotero Plugin
  • Native PDF markup or annotator, like what's found in the LibreWolf web browser. Logseq also has an interesting PDF usage. Whatever you highlight is copied below the PDF file in your note. Logseq's organization is horrid, though, so it's not worth using.

Check out the Zotero Link plugin.

1 Like

A plugin like the Obsidian plugin called "Media Sync" which scans the vault and download all externally linked images.

Why do we need it? As we know, the native web clipper doesn't work on mobile. But there are ways to clip a markdown file but with only externally linked images. With this plugin, we can periodically run it on the desktop to download all externally linked images.

How do you clip a markdown file to the mobile app? Maybe we can improve this workflow and automatically download the images at that point.

1 Like

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for looking into this. I use an iOS Safari Extension "ToMarkdown" which converts the current page into a markdown version, and then I copy the text into Joplin. Obviously, any linked images will remain as linked images.

I have an alternative idea: the "share" function on iOS makes a note with only the weblink in Joplin. I don't know whether it is possible, on desktop, to have a button/plugin to scan the vault (or a particular folder) and call up the web browser and the Joplin web clipper to download the contents of these notes. (Currently I do this manually, and this button can automate this process.) Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @laurent,

Stepping in as, being AFK for a week, I gave this another shot... And got pretty nice result! :slightly_smiling_face:

Using the Markdownr app on android does a nice job converting web pages to MD with nice front matter and summary options, and automatically pops up the share panel again to successfully import into Joplin mobile. Main "issue" is that no choice is given for the target folder. If that choice could be given and assets downloaded at import time, that would give us a pretty good capture solution.

If there was a more complete solution to build upon this, the Zettel Notes sharing options are surely a good inspiration as the convertion to md seems to work very well, it offers the choice of target dir (or note), and has additional sharing targets like adding to note, capturing link only... Making the closest thing to our beloved web clipper experience.

Hope it helps
J

Would anyone consider making an auto-scroller plugin? I've been achem liberating screenshots from guitar websites for their chords/lyrics for songs, and I'd like to keep my hands on the fretboard instead of the keyboard.

Even cooler would be a method for putting "words" above lyrics, something like this (I'm a sucker for love songs, don't judge me):

C        C/B      Am     G/B
  I'm  half  way  gone 

C        C/B      Am
  Sleepless  I'm  battle  worn

F                        G
  And  you're  all  I  want

F                        G
  So  bring  me  the  dawn

For placing chords above lyrics, try the ABC Sheet Music Plugin with the top answer from the link below:

If that doesn't work for you, the forum thread mentions workarounds including tables, code blocks (like what you posted), etc.

1 Like

I am a user of Joplin. Thank you for this fantastic tool.

I use presentation tools like Marp and Reveal.js. Additionally, I merge multiple files and convert them into LaTeX or EPUB format using Pandoc. Here is an example of my process: Link to gist.

For external editing, I utilize editors such as VSCode, iA Writer, and Typora. I would love to use these tools seamlessly.

However, once I export Markdown files, I cannot easily return to the Joplin environment.

Even with the "Joplin-VSCode plugin", the title in the Joplin becomes a header, making it challenging to use my YAML Front Matter effectively for Marp or Pandoc.
When using "Toggle External Editing," the first line becomes the title, which also prevents effective use of my YAML Front Matter for Marp and Pandoc.

I am looking for an option or plugin within Joplin’s "Toggle External Editing" that does NOT place the title on the first line.

Ideally, I would like to use the Zettelkasten Method or a similar approach to seamlessly publish and create presentations directly from Joplin.

• [ADDITION 2024-05-30] Improvement: Panel Toggle Buttons (tabs, favorites, outlines, etc) located in one spot that is visible even if you don't have a note open (you browsed to an empty notebook, for example). Right now, you either have to use the very cluttered Tools menu (put a separator between built in and Plugin additions please!) to find the Plugin's menu item and then click down the menu hierarchy. Or there is a toggle button, but it is at the top of the note editor/viewer … which isn't always visible.

• Improvement: Better management of "Enable XXX viewer".
    Right now it is On or Off. I rarely want to expand a PDF for example. But sometimes, it is a really nice feature. And so, I leave that setting on and proliferate so many notes with <style> .media-player.media-pdf { display: none; } </style> Which is really messy and annoying. I'd like to turn it off and on per note, ideally. And for Joplin to remember if I turned it off or on for that note. And here's a fun requirement … and have that setting sync to my other devices. See next bullet.

• Improvement: Sync Plugin configuration. (or, alternatively, an export/import workflow?)
    This may be complicated and dangerous, but I would like to be able to, by default, sync my plugin settings between my laptops without having to mirror them manually. AND at the same time, support local customizations. I don't know how this would be easily managed, but ... It's a thought. Maybe this would be easier as an export/import process.

• Plugin: Global cursor tracking. Or Global cursor memory. Or Location memory. Or some such …
    When I jump between notes, I want Joplin to remember where I was in each note and not shoot me back to the top of a note.
    When I jump between notebooks, I want Joplin to remember which note I was last in within that notebook and return me to it AND remember where I was in that note and return my cursor there.
    When I shut down and restart Joplin, I want it to put me back precisely where I was before.
    (Sensible default behaviors must exist when Joplin loses some information, of course, like after syncing from another device that restructures a note or notebook.)

2 Likes