What features did you like in 2023 and what do you want to see in 2024?

If I may just go to the top two things I am waiting for Joplin to implement...

1. More love for iOS app. Two biggest issues I have with it are

(a) it takes too long to attach a file (pdf or image) because it can't be done from outside of Joplin. I.e. if I download a PDF I want to put into Joplin, I can't just share it to the app - I have to open Joplin and browse to that PDF and attach it, which takes way too much time for what is supposed to be a quick on-the-fly action (why use mobile devices at all if it's not quick ?)

(b) It's impossible to share a PDF of the note from mobile. The data is essentially trapped there - I can't for example take notes on my iPad, complete with screenshots, then share them with meeting participants, because all I get is plaintext markdown.

Overall, the mobile client feels like a glorified viewer. This is not a criticism of the great FOSS software, just stating the limitations.

1. Inbuilt OCR for PDFs and images. Again, this is a major functionality that prevents me from using Joplin as my main app. Manual OCR with the plugins takes way too long and is slow and not always reliable.

These are two major feature limitations for my use case. I take notes on the go all the time, I share them with others often, and I take lots of screenshots of printed text that I plan on finding later via text search. (Receipts, instructions, equipment tags, etc.) Unfortunately Joplin isn't really very suitable for any of this at the moment. If I only used the desktop version to store typed notes, it would be a great system.

2 Likes