Improving Joplin Mobile UX/UI

Hi all,

I have been using Joplin for around a month now and since using it I’ve jumped head first into using it as my daily driver (I’m a sysadmin by trade; we take a lot of notes), anyway upon using the mobile app I’d noticed a little bit of non uniformity in the menu bar to which I fixed in PR #6597 which recently got merged, and I’ve got to say I love this app, after stumbling upon it by chance wanting to migrate from Apple Notes to a more self hosted, encrypted and privacy focused solution, it’s met all of those requirements and more so.

However I’ve been reading through this forum a little and seen some amazing ideas from people which really interest me, however I keep seeing recurring themes of complains about the UI/UX on the mobile app and wanted to share some ideas that could improve user experience in the app :slight_smile:

I’m thinking some of the following features could be beneficial in future releases:

• Larger text for notes in list and increased height on notes in list (Accessibility)
  • Improved fluidity in animations such as: opening/closing side bar
  • Swipe left/right on notes to access more functions (delete/copy/share, etc)
  • Notebook Groups (once sub-folders implemented in mobile, potential to have groups such as work/personal for further organisation)

Just my two cents on ways the app could be improved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

On iOS, the scroll position in long notes jumps up and down when a) you jump from viewer to editor, and then b) when you touch somewhere and the keyboard opens.

It's a tiny thing, but makes editing on mobile almost unbearable. I don't dare to touch my notes to avoid inserting random characters at random positions in my carefully curated note collection.

full ack: For this reason (larger text) I sometimes use edit mode just for viewing purposes. Scrolling like this is no fun, though (with the keyboard occupying a large fraction of the screen). :disappointed: