What exactly does Joplin do, when it synchronizes with a new location?

"Joplin perhaps is not an app for everybody because it gives you a lot of flexibility, but you also have to be careful in some cases and understand what you’re doing" - laurent

That sounds great. Yes, I would like to know, what exactly happens when I enter a new location (in particular, WebDAV) and press "Synchronize". For example, this part of the docs says a lot about synchronization in terms of "how to", and outlining different possibilities. However, I did not find any definition of the word "synchronization" (I did not study the source code though). There are several variants of what could the word "synchronization" mean in this context:

1. notebooks stored at the entered location ...
    a. replace the notebooks stored locally;
    b. are added to notebooks stored locally;
  2. notebooks stored locally...
    a. replace the notebooks stored at the entered location;
    b. are added to notebooks stored at the entered location;

The following sentence from FAQ suggests that the variant 1.a. is correct: "Otherwise, if there's nothing on the new location, Joplin is going to think that you have deleted all your data and will proceed to delete it locally too." However, when I synchronize a freshly installed Joplin with a location of existing notebooks (WebDAV), the demo notebooks are copied from the local storage to the entered location. This suggests that the variant 2.b. is correct.

It would be good not to reverse engineer the definition of "synchronization", but to have an explicit definition of what does this procedure do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.