Week 4 (First version is out) - Paste Special Plugin

Greetings everyone, this is the 4th week of paste special plugin.
[Github | Project Proposal]

Voila :rocket:, first version of plugin is out with the feature of Paste CSV as Table. We're looking for all the testing and community feedback for now. Link for the plugin has also been added below. :grin:

File Link :link:

com.coderrsid.pasteSpecial.jpl (27 KB)

Usage Instructions

• Step 1: Copy CSV data to your clipboard (Ctrl + C or Cmd + C)
  • Step 2: Paste using the method below

Screen-Recording-2021-07-05-at-3

Installation Instructions

Screen-Recording-2021-07-07-at-3

Edited:

Performance :rocket:

For 50,000 rows of csv data ---> 0.65 seconds
For 100,000 rows of csv data ---> 0.66 seconds :scream:

5 Likes

Congratulations!

Could anyone say how dangerous it is to test this plugin on my live Joplin installation? I'd love to help by testing, but I can't risk my collection of notes. (I do have a backup, but I really would rather not have to rebuild.)

1 Like

Nice work!
I just tried it with 2 csv files (about 3000 lines each), one with semicolons as separator, the other with tabs, and both pasted perfectly into Joplin.
So apparently the plugin is able to detect the value separator?
(I have borderline cases where I get data separated by #...)

Thanks for your work !

2 Likes

Well, nothing dangerous :slight_smile:
Install the plugin, create an empty note, copy your data, paste in the note.
That's all !

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Thank you so much.

Could anyone say how dangerous it is to test this plugin on my live Joplin installation? I'd love to help by testing, but I can't risk my collection of notes. (I do have a backup, but I really would rather not have to rebuild.)

Oh, i myself have been testing this on the latest version of installed live joplin only. This is a minimalistic plugin, it's not gonna risk any of joplin settings. It's just giving one more feature related to your pasting your csv data from clipboard. You can use this without no worries.

1 Like

That's great.

So apparently the plugin is able to detect the value separator?
(I have borderline cases where I get data separated by #...)

Yes, we're using the best utility here to validate and parse the csv data. But, no software is perfect. That's where our community comes rocking. So, i'd request you to please engage as much of pasting unique csv data and testing results. Thanks. :smiley:

Great job! Just tested this with Joplin 2.1.8 (prod, win32) and some random csv and it works perfectly as advertised.

1 Like

Thanks. Hope it serves all its purposes.

Hey everyone, i've been testing the plugin consistently, look at the performance reviews

Performance :rocket:

For 50,000 rows of csv data ---> 0.65 seconds
For 100,000 rows of csv data ---> 0.66 seconds
For 500,000 rows of csv data ---> 1.47 seconds :scream:

You may want to mention that it is possible to paste in actual csv as well as cells copied from Excell, etc. The second, I think, is much more common. Perhaps, though, everyone knows that cells copied from excell are just csv text?

Thanks so much for working on this!

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. As data cells copied from excel are tab seperated values, it is supported by the plugin. The information is mentioned on github page readme.

1 Like

Looking great!

Any plans to copy/paste parts of a web page as markdown? I'm currently using a browser plugin called MarkDownload to do this. I appreciate there's some overlap with the extension here, but I don't always want to create a new note when I'm pasting stuff in from a web page, and I don't always want to faff around with opening up the WYSIWYG editor.

1 Like

Don't know what OS or browser you use, but maybe this might be of interest to you?

github.com/0x6b/copy-selection-as-markdown

1 Like

This plugin has saved me so much time, rather than doing a find/replace in a decent text editor on a csv file to convert it so that Joplin sees it as a table...

Congrats.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the review @dpoulton . As, that was the major task behind the idea of this plugin. Cheers!

I use Markdownload, but it'd be nice to have something integrated into Joplin, is that's all I use it to do.

1 Like

That's the next part of the project after we achieve most stable version for csv to markdown in some upcoming weeks.

Hey everyone, this is a sneak peak into the upcoming weeks of the project. Here, is the feature developed for pasting html as markdown yet needs to be more tested:

Paste HTML as Markdown

6 Likes

Looks fantastic! Will keep an eye out for this then!

1 Like