Web clipper 2.1.3 not working

I updated the Web Clipper to 2.1.3 recently.
working on Ubuntu 20.04
Found that it was stuck in a "starting" state.
So i updated the Desktop App to 2.1.8, No change.
I checked the logs for the clipper service and found this, repeated several times over.

2021-07-10 11:49:41: "Request: GET /ping"
2021-07-10 11:49:41: "Request: GET /auth/check?token=undefined"
2021-07-10 11:49:41: "Error: Not Found
Error: Not Found
    at Api.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/services/rest/Api.js:113:23)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/services/rest/Api.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/services/rest/Api.js:4:12)
    at Api.route (/tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/services/rest/Api.js:64:16)
    at execRequest (/tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/ClipperServer.js:162:39)
    at Server.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_JoplinvzDLln/resources/app.asar/lib/ClipperServer.js:205:7)
    at Server.emit (events.js:210:5)
    at Server.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:476:20)"

I'm not savvy enough to figure out what this means.


Chrome or Firefox?

Brave, based on Chrome.

Could you try with Chrome to see if it's a problem with the clipper or something unusual that Brave is doing on Ubuntu?


Did Joplin 2.1.8 present you with see the authorisation prompt?


Ill give it a shot a bit later, gotta install chrome to do that.
I have FF installed, ill give that a shot also.

Negative, No prompt or anything.

Also make sure you are really running 2.1.8 in Help > About, because the "Not found" error should not happen in this version.

Im pretty sure.
DT version

brave version

This is happening to me, too in Firefox. If Joplin is not running, it does the usual thing and says its not running. If it is running, then it says "Permission needed. Starting...". Manage Extension shows I'm running 2.1.3 released July 5, 2021. It has permission to read all data and access tabs, as per usual. The release notes are blank, however.

What version of the desktop app?

Also how did you all install the application? It sounds like the remaining clipper issues are with Linux mostly so it might be problem with a particular package.

i installed via the CLI script:

I did have the clipper working when i first installed it a long time ago, but it stopped working and i never got around to posting.
The original install was done via CLI also.

I am having exactly the same problem in Windows 10 with Brave Chrome version. Both Joplin and Clipper are up to date......

Due to the continuing reports of the web-clipper not working I thought I'd do a couple of tests to help out and see if I could find the "problem" configuration.

I have just installed Brave, the web clipper and Joplin on Windows 10 Pro 21H1, Linux Mint 20.2 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I found that in all cases the clipper worked.

The below screenshots are for

  • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • Brave 1.26.74
  • Clipper 2.1.3
  • Joplin 2.1.8

1 Like

I'm having the "permission needed" issue as well on Windows 10 Pro and Vivaldi. Previous to updated webclipper everything was working (didn't realize I had missed the 2.x Joplin client update).

I updated to the new desktop client, and I am still getting the "permission needed" error. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Joplin extension and now the error message is "Permission needed
The Joplin Web Clipper requires your authorisation in order to access your data. To proceed, please open the Joplin desktop application and grant permission. Note: Joplin 2.1+ is needed to use this version of the Web Clipper."

I've gone through all of the tools->options options and I cannot find any setting to "grant" permissions.

I'm happy to provide any additional information if requested.

1 Like

Ah... Thank you.

I guess my Joplin theme (Nord) got in the way:

White text on yellow/gold background didn't stand out.

Accepted the authorization, and everything seems to be working again. Thank you.

1 Like

I was having same problems as Javajosh when booted into Win 10, but all worked when I updated desktop Joplin and Firefox

Glad it is working for you. Still not working here. Both up to date, windows 10 up to date. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Still seeking permission. Tried revoking permission and regranting permission. Still nada......If web clipper does not work soon I will have to try something else. Almost my sole reason for using it is web clipper as I do a LOT of research using it like crazy, until it updated......