Unexpected interface issues

Greetings! I just recently found out about Joplin and was very excited. I installed it on my Mac mini (OS Sierra, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD) and I found the interface varely readable. If I clicked on the interface, it would sometimes show the document in a small space. If I clicked again, it got even smaller. I’ll attach screenshots if I can.

When I tried to go to preferences, to set it up with my NextCloud, there was nothing on the screen at all. I uninstalled – including preferences and other various files – several times, and restarted several times during the process.

I hope the Sierra OS isn’t a deal-killer. I stay on the older OS because there’s an app I use that stopped being supported. I’m hoping one of you experienced hands can help me. Thanks!!55%20AM

Apparently, new users can only attach one image,

25%20AM

Final shot: Preferences

I have never experienced this behavior and I can’t reproduce it, so I’m unfortunately not able to help with this. It could be an upstream issue with react or electron.

Disappointing! Joplin seemed like it might be a good fit for me. Thank you for your efforts. I guess I’ll ask over at GitHub just is case. After that, I don’t know what to do…

There might be still people in the forum who have seen this behavior.

As mentioned before, if it’s an upstream issue it has to be fixed upstream as well. There might be a few things that can be fixed in Joplin, but this looks rather a major UI rendering bug (although I’m not sure why you would be the only one who has noticed it so far) and probab,y can’t be fix in Joplin.
I could be wrong though.

Before opening an issue on gh, let’s see what @laurent has to say. Maybe he’s heard of this before.

It’s probably an Electron issue. We’d need to check if they support macOS Sierra I guess.

I really appreciate this effort! I don’t know if it would help for me to enable debug more or pull the Mac logs, but I’m more than happy to do what I can!

FYI, I checked the Electron website and they say they support back to OS 10.10 (Yosemite), Sierra is 10.12, so that should be fine.

Since React was mentioned, I took a look there too, but it doesn’t seem to be an issue. I don’t know if any of that helps…

What happens if you open the console while the app is running? Any error in the console? https://joplinapp.org/debugging/

Sorry, keep meaning to check that but it’s been hectic. Will check this evening.

Hi, laurent! First, thanks for taking the time to look into this. I enabled the debugger, as discussed but the console didn’t show anything at all – no warnings, errors, nothing. I looked at the log.txt file and there didn’t seem to be too much of note there, although I’m no dev. It complained that it couldn’treach my NextCloud – some issues with the URL, apparently. But that shouldn’t break basic functionality, is my guess.

I’d be happy to share the log if it’s of any help. I don’t see a way to attach files, but I could send it via email, or make a cloud link available. Thanks, again.

The log probably would not help as it’s quite a low level, probably Chrome or Electron issue. We’ll upgrade to Electron 5 at some point so perhaps that will fix the issue, but it’s hard to tell.

Thanks, laurent! I spent some time over the weekend, at the Electron site, looking at dependencies. I’d had an issue with my machine and ended up with a clean install and didn’t even think that I was missing various packages. But even after I check, installed and updated things, it still wouldn’t run.

I appreciate you contacting me on this. I will try to remember to keep an eye for the Joplin upgrade, just in case.