The Joplin extension is not available on this tab due to: Missing host permission for the tab

joplin web clipper 2.1.3
joplin desktop 2.4.12 (prod, win32)

(Is there a 64bit version? does it matter?)

Anyway - just updated these due to being forced to do a browser update, and one tab of the mozilla support page causes web clipper to fail with the message:
"The Joplin extension is not available on this tab due to: Missing host permission for the tab"

Turns out other pages do not have this problem.
(A similar topic was open a year or so ago)

Anyone know what causes this? Is there a fix?

I have only ever seen this error if the web-clipper is activated when there is no page loaded in the browser or when Firefox is displaying "Firefox Home" as neither of these are webpages (empty address bar).

What's the URL of the page that is causing the problem?

Happens on Chrome Store too and unfortunately, since this is where people get the extension from, they test it there and it doesn't work.

URL is:

OK, that blew my theory out of the water...

I had a bit of a rummage through the Mozilla support pages and yes it does appear that most if not all the pages are constructed in a way that means they cannot be clipped. Having all those expanding sections probably doesn't help. Copy / paste the text?

"copy / paste the text" - oh for sure - I ended up testing it there because this whole noisy upgrade cycle was part of a forced firebox upgrade - took a minute to realize the clipper works fine everywhere else.

And when all else fails, screen capture and post the image.... (:slight_smile:

I've used the markdownload extension a few times now where the joplin clipper has either not quite worked or I've desired some slightly different pre-processing options which saves time editing them later. It would be interesting to see if the results are any different (unfortunately I'm not really in a position to test it myself annoyingly).
Obviously it doesn't interact with joplin so the import of the markdown is up to you.

Firefox has a bunch of restricted pages inaccessible by default to extensions.
Maybe your problem is related to this list.

Type about:config in the address bar, accept the risk, and search for extensions.webextensions.restrictedDomains

All the domain names blocked by Firefox are displayed, separated by commas. It seems that it is possible to delete a domain name to make the page accessible to an extension.

1 Like


Thanks for sharing that useful information. is on the "restricted" list. I cleared the list and the page @bryanwi mentioned clipped to Joplin. I did not check that the clipper got everything, but even if it didn't it's better than nothing...

Of course it also means that it's not a problem with the clipper, but Mozilla actually preventing the clipper extension from working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.