Taking days (or more) to sync on android

Hi kenden
Yes, it's in either one of those folders .lock or locks. I think locks. But I checked the other one & there were no files in the other one. So I'm thinking you can delete files that are in both.

Hi Pieterv,

Thanks!
I am using 3 machines (Windows, Linux and an Android phone). I logged on Linux, did a sync, then did a sync on the Android app.
During the sync of the Android app, I saw that a .json file disappeared in Dropbox, from
Apps > Joplin > locks.
At the end of said sync, I received the message saying more or less "you cannot synchronize because another device has a lock". But having seen that a lock file was just removed, I did a sync again on android, and it worked.

It looks like there is an issue identifying when a lock is on.

there's a difference here between the sync being stuck and it not synching at all. Mine was syncing. it was just extremely slow

I definitely can confirm that. I too had one of my machines falling into 'eternal sync' (and doing nothing) while all others did sync : I found the faulty lock file, deleted it (taking care that all Joplin instance be switched off) and all is perfect now.
It's to the extend that I created a new help note straight into Joplin showing where, inside Dropbox, are located the lock files :wink:
(Also I could check, with my browser being logged onto Dropbox, that whenever one Joplin instance syncs there is a transient lock file appearing there, then disappearing once sync is over.)
Thank you indeed @Pieterv !

Same here.
I have Joplin on Linux and Windows - sync is fast as always.
I also have Joplin on Android - sync takes a long time and cancelling does not work, until I terminate the app.

I have 2461 notes and am using Dropbox.
The same problem occurs with Onedrive.

Here's what I did to solve this:

1. made sure Joplin was running only on Android
  2. deleted the lock files on Dropbox/Apps/Joplin/locks
  3. ran a full sync on Android, it took around 1 hour to sync and decrypt

Now sync works fast on all Joplin instances: Windows, Linux and Android.

One issue still: decrypt keeps running, even with all my notes decrypted.
Don't know why.

Sync is fast across all devices.

Decryption is always running and is very slow on Android.

Items get decrypted, but takes time to. Example: 1 note can take up to 5 minutes to decrypt.
This used to be fast.

Are you sure you have the latest version on all your machines? There has been significant upgrades on encryption recently, and I for one got in trouble decrypting recently-created notes when syncing them into an old, not-up-to-date Joplin instance...

Noted @Herve5. All platforms on the latest version.

Good news. Left the decryption going for a couple of days and done ... no more decrypt and all good now. Patience is key,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.