Sync between Android and WD NAS not working

Hi everyone,
I think I'm going nuts, since nothing seems to work.

I'm trying to sync between notes created on the Windows client, stored on my MyCloudEx2Ultra NAS and my Android devices. After trying this the last time, I ended up setting up WebDav on the old WDnas I had before, but the newer one I just got, does not support WebDav anymore.

Is it possible, to set up the Android version (and if yes, pray tell how exactly), to use a local NAS storage, instead of using Nextcloud, Dropbox, WebDav, OneDrive, AWS,... ?
I tried using
smb://user:pass@IPOFNAS/sharename ,
nfs://IPOFNAS/nfs/sharename,
nfs://user:pass@IPOFNAS/nfs/sharename,
\NASNAME\sharename,
//NASNAME/sharename ,
but nothing seems to work. Folder permissions were set to user & pass and even to public folder with write access at one time (yes, I was that desperate...), but I always keep getting the "Directory could not be created .... EUNSPECIFIED" errors.

Windows side:
Joplin 1.3.18 (prod, win32)
Sync-Version: 2
Profile-Version: 34
Revision: 6b75485a1 (master)

Android side:
Joplin 1.7.5

I did search through this forum, but couldn't find any useful answers, that detailed how to successfully set this up. Just a lot threads, with people being told to use online storage, or webdav, but that's not an option for my usecase.

I am not sure if this is supported. Can you see your NAS from Android at all, using a file manager, for instance?

Yup, I can navigate, via two different filemanager apps :slight_smile:

I think joplin currently can only sync to a local file system. If you can mount your smb share as a local dir, it might work.

1 Like

I wanted to do the same thing, but on Android Samba and network file systems in general are a little bit difficult...I think without root access, the best possible way is to sync the folder on your NAS to a local one on the smartphone (two-way-sync needed!). Even if it may not be the best (only smb1 supported), I used "SyncMe" from the Play Store which did the job very, very good.
With root access, you could try to somehow mount the folder on your NAS to a local destination (as @roman_r_m suggested). Then everything would be a little bit cleaner and in real time, but I don't have a clue how this would work.

Yeah, SyncMe is awesome. I keep syncing the folder with pics of my kid with the NAS. If only local storage is available, then I guess I won't have much of a choice, then. I just didn't want the software to keep syncing the phone every 5mins or so. That'd probably trigger our security flags at work :slight_smile:

@roman_r_m: I tried an smb app, but so far no dice :-/

There's a lib to work with SMB in react-native, more than one actually. Maybe someone will come along and implement it, though I don't think this gets asked often.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.