Switching off encryption

Hello all,

Few days ago I started using Joplin, entering about 40 short text files plus two pdf’s. Synchronisation via Nextcloud worked flawless between 2 Mac desktops and 2 Linux computers.

Unfortunately I got adventurous and switched on encryption - with the result that nothing works any more. Yes, I read the manual, but obviously did not understand some details. Changing the Nextcloud directory and reinstalling Joplin did not help - encryption is always on and asks: „One or more master keys need a password“.

Obvious question: What do I have to do in order to delete encryption forever? Backup of all files exists, so I don‘t mind starting anew

Thanks for any help

Best regards

Hans

My setup:

• Macs running System 10.14.5
  • Linux all running LinuxMint 19.1
  • Nextcloud 2.5.2
  • Joplin version 1.0.160

You need to fully sync a client, then export to JEX file. Then delete everything on Nextcloud and all clients, an reimport the JEX file.

Thanks Laurent for your reponse.

As suggested I opened Joplin and waited for 2 hours - and nothing happened. After one day I got the following message:

• Abgeschlossen: 26/06/2019 09:03
    Letzte Fehlermeldung: Error: MKCOL .sync/: Parent node does not exist (Exception Sabre\DAV\Exception\Conflict) (409): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <d:error xmlns:d=“DAV:” xmlns:s=“http://sabredav.org/ns”> <s:exception>Sabre\DAV\Exception\Conflict</s:exception> <s:message>Parent node does not exist</s:message> </d:error>

The easiest thing for me would be starting anew, i.e. deleting Joplin on my 4 computers and starting from scratch. However, I found out that I also have to delete some configuration(?) files. Where are they to be found on my Linux and Mac Computers?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Hans

The parent node message sometimes means that you are syncing with a folder that doesn’t exist.

Config is in ~/.config/joplin-desktop

Not quite there! By deleting the “-/.config/joplin-desktop” file my Linux computers feel like „in the old days“. However, my two Macs still warn me from a still active password. Deleting the Joplin.App and deleting "Library/Application support/Joplin“ plus restarting the computer did not help. I still se the red warning band

Does deleting the following file help?:

• Library/Accounts/Accounts3.sqlite, Accounts3.sqlite-shm & Accounts3 sqlite-wal

The date and timestamps indicated in each file there are suspiciously looking like the dates and times I was trying out encryption with Joplin.

Thanks for your help again

Best regards

Hans

I guess you have a master key on your sync target, so the app is asking you to provide the password. There’s no way around this. Deleting the other files you mentioned would not help.