Running joplin 1.0.163 (prod) on Arch Linux. I screwed up changing the NextCloud Sync URL, and now trying to figure out a way to get my data back. Nothing really critical, but think this would help me figure out how much I can trust Joplin down the line.
Wish I’d read https://joplinapp.org/faq/#all-my-notes-got-deleted-after-changing-the-webdav-url before, but I didn’t.
Sequence of events:
- Joplin installed as a AppImage
- Regular notes stored
- Sync enabled against NextCloud, works great.
- Encryption Enabled. Works fine. I put everything against the root directory on Nextcloud though, so i try to correct for that.
- I create a directory called
joplinon Nextcloud, delete everything from NextCloud root, and change the sync target to
/joplinsub-directory. I assumed joplin would just initiate a sync to a fresh new target that way, and everything would be fine.
- This causes NextCloud to forget everything somehow, as soon as it notices a empty sync directory.
- I restore everything back in NextCloud, and overwrite the content inside the new “joplin” directory in NextCloud. Doesn’t work.
- I decide to switch to the official
joplinbecause the AppImage package doesn’t have
joplincli. Took me ages to build, but I manage.
- It picks up the new configuration, so still no notes.
- I check the encryption config, and re-provide the same password. (Don’t remember this exactly)
I’ve been trying the
joplin e2ee decrypt-file command against the text from the
encryption_cipher_text heading. But it doesn’t seem to work? I just get multiple prompts for
Enter master password:
joplin e2ee decrypt-file --verbose --retry-failed-items `pwd`/y.crypt Enter master password: Enter master password: Enter master password: Enter master password: Operation cancelled
Every time I enter the same password, and it keeps asking the same in a loop. If I press enter without a password, it cancels the operation.
Ultimately, since I have my master password, and I have the crypt files - I’m assuming I should be able to restore that one lone file on my Joplin?