Since about three days the synchronization does not work anymore - a File is LOCKED


I am asking for your help.
I have been using Joplin for over 2 years, first with version 1.0.201 and never had any problems with synchronization.

However, since about three days the synchronization does not work anymore and I get the error message:

Abgeschlossen (Completed): 08/06/2022 02:31 (31s)
Letzte Fehlermeldung (Last error message): Error: PUT locks/1_1_d6331fc5b7e442a8a0175812821bc7b4.json: "Zzz_Joplin_NEU/locks/1_1_d6331fc5b7e442a8a0175812821bc7b4.json" is locked
(Exception OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Exception\FileLocked) (423): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <d:error xmlns:d="DAV:" xmlns:s=" h t t p ://"> <s:exception>OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Exception\FileLocked</s:exception> <s:message>"Zzz_Joplin_NEU/locks/1_1_d6331fc5b7e442a8a0175812821bc7b4.json" is locked</s:message> </d:error>

On the OwnCloud server, in the directory "Zzz_Joplin_NEW/locks/" the file "1_1_d6331fc5b7e442a8a0175812821bc7b4.json" is NOT present, but many times I find it under " deleted files".

Synchronization with the Android Joplin app still works fine.

Further note: about two weeks ago I enabled encryption, but since then I have had to sync very often as I use ob them regularly, but until three days ago there were no problems at all.

Thanks in advance, McPower

  • The Joplin desktop version i am using: 2.8.8
  • I am syncing with OwnCloud server - h t t p s ://
  • The operating system: Windows 10 Home, Version 21H1

the error code 423 means The resource that is being accessed is locked.
This is a OwnCloud / NextCloud problem, try to search here in the forum or on the official OwnCloud / NextCloud forum. if I know correctly the database from OwnCloud / NextCloud needs to be repaired.

Yeah, I think I vaguely remember having this issue and this being the solution.
(My non-solution was ugly and won't help you, though; and I quickly got fed up with NextCloud issues and am now hosting my own Server.)

Hello JackGruber,

thank you for the answer.
You had written, "This is an OwnCloud / NextCloud issue"

I have my OwnCloud data stored at ocloud dot de. That's why I wrote to support, but haven't received an answer yet.

But I am a bit unsure if your statement is true, because as I wrote above, the synchronization with the Android Joplin app still works fine.

Maybe someone has another idea what the problem could be.


@McPower this is only because every client create it's own lock file and only the creation of the lockfile for the desktop (id: d6331fc5b7e442a8a0175812821bc7b4) is not working.

1 Like

I had written to the support, because my Joplin data is stored at ocloud dot de - I still have not received an answer from them, but obviously the lock has been removed by them, the synchronization works fine now again.

Thanks for the help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.