Not all notes imported from Evernote

I am desperate in my search to find a suitable replacement of Evernote. A friend recommended Joplin. I reviewed it, thought it looked great and installed it on my Mac. I imported my enex file which contained 22331 notes. My Evernote version is: Evernote Legacy Version 7.14.1 (458325 Direct) on macOS Catalina. My Joplin version is 1.4.19 (prod, darwin).

However, Joplin only imported 22318 notes; a shortfall of 13 notes. Please help! As an aside, I recently imported the same enex file into Bear without exception.

It would be helpful if there was an error log so I could assess what notes did not get imported and why. Short of that, I am unable to fully trust which of my Evernote’s were imported into Joplin.

Please help me as I would love to make Joplin my Evernote replacement! I would deeply appreciate any assistance or advise you are able to provide. Thank you!

Thank you!

John

Maybe try to open the console while you import the notes as there could be some errors in there: https://joplinapp.org/debugging

Evernote import has been improved significantly in recent versions but it's possible there are still edge cases.

1 Like

Thank you very much!, laurent!

I imported the same enex file, this time as HTML. Also opened the console as you recommended. Only 8 notes missing this time (instead of 13 as markdown):

Evernote .enex 22331
Joplin imported 22323
Notes missing 8

Providing Dropbox links to two log files:

/Users/jbh/.config/joplin-desktop/log.txt duplicated as "Joplin log.txt”
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2ihhiifrdvq0wz/Joplin%20log.txt?dl=0

"Joplin Console Log (filtered 8 Errors & 19 Warnings).docx”
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cls0whz4oul78na/Joplin%20Console%20Log%20%28filtered%208%20Errors%20%26%2019%20Warnings%29.docx?dl=0

Unfortunatley, I am unable to glean any understanding from the log files. I wish I understood more about this type of stuff; but alas I am an old accountant. Perhaps you can review the log files to determine what prevented the 8 notes from importing. I assume the 8 Errors indicated are the subject 8 missing notes.

As an aside, as I have read in the forums, the import as HTML produced unusable gibberish (to me anyway) in the note editor column. Once I determine why and which missing notes are not importing, I will import again as markdown.

Thank you so very much for anything you do to help!

John

Does it work if you use the latest re-release? Normally this bug has been fixed in the latest version (I thought the fix was in 1.4, but it's in 1.5 actually).

Thank you very much for your response!

I installed Version 1.5.7 and imported my .enex file as markdown. It is closer this time but still 5 notes missing to wit:

Evernote.enex  22331 
 Joplin imported 22326
 Notes missing           5

What advise do you have to either get this to zero OR help me to determine which 5 notes were skipped over so that I can get them into Joplin manually?

Thank you!!

John

Please provide the log as you've done earlier.

Thank you very much for your response!

I deleted 831 notes from Evernote. Then imported my .enex file as markdown. Same result of 5 notes missing to wit:

Evernote.enex   21500 
 Joplin imported 21495
 Notes missing       5

Here are links to the two log files:

Please and THANK YOU!

John

Tried it again with Joplin-1.5.8.dmg Then imported my .enex file as markdown. Result of 6 notes missing — an increase of 1 — to wit:

2020-12-22 Evernote 21260 MD.enex 21260
Joplin imported 21254
Notes missing 6

Please and THANK YOU!

John

It seems that one of your note is corrupted or have some strange HTML. I've made a few tweaks to the app so that a corrupted note doesn't prevent importing the other notes and also so that more info is displayed in case of error. Could you give it another try and provide the log again please?

When there will be an error it should open the console automatically. If it doesn't please open it and inside there should be a warning telling you which note exactly couldn't be imported. If you could export that note only as ENEX and share it that would definitely help fix the issue.

1 Like

1st THANK YOU!

2nd I sure will!

Eureka! This did the trick, as I believe I have determined the 6 suspect Evernotes which I gleaned from discovering the below from the Console Log:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Jehovah’s Witnesses—Special Convention in Dublin, Ireland | Videos": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Video Clips: Jehovah’s Witnesses Help Prisoners Learn Bible Truth": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Video Clips: Seeing the Bible in American Sign Language (ASL)": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Video Clips: Jehovah’s Witnesses—Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Video Clips: The Watchtower Sign in Brooklyn, NY": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MenuBar.js:129 Error on note "Congratulate Tyler Prater on the new job": TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined

And here attached are the 6 subject ENEX files:

Congratulate Tyler Prater on the new job.enex (260.9 KB) Video Clips- The Watchtower Sign in Brooklyn, NY.enex (12.8 KB) Video Clips- Jehovah’s Witnesses—Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts.enex (12.9 KB) Video Clips- Seeing the Bible in American Sign Language (ASL).enex (62.1 KB) Video Clips- Jehovah’s Witnesses Help Prisoners Learn Bible Truth.enex (65.3 KB) Jehovah’s Witnesses—Special Convention in Dublin, Ireland | Videos.enex (1.2 KB) Here are the missing 6 notes

THANK YOU for your patience in sticking with me! It is much appreciated!

John

No problem, the ENEX format is a complex one with many edge cases so it's good that you can provide detailed logs and enex files. Eventually enex import gets more reliable for everybody as this kind of small issues are fixed.

The latest update should work for the 6 above enex files:

Please let me know if it works for you too, and if not feel free to send the ENEX that's causing problem again.

2 Likes